Why do people pay for an antivirus at Home?

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It always baffles me, when people choose to *pay* for an antivirus for home use. I mean a combination of free software is good enough to meet most people's requirements....If it's in a business environment I'd rather understand.

Are the *little extra's* worth it? Especially when they can be achieved with other free tools.

Especially when you choose to go with layered protection, like a free antivirus, an on-demand scanner, system monitor (like WinPatrol), Sandboxie [sandboxing], Web of Trust/Link scanners for browsers, a free firewall [comodo, private firewall], tune-up utilities (like CCleaner) [why need a payware antivirus for that] etc etc..

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Maybe because regarding antivirus/antimalware software, few free programs are worth it, like: 360, Comodo, Avast, Avira. But with paid, you get a lot more: KIS, Emsi, ESET,BD, Norton, etc. But, if you know how to behave wisely, free or paid, you are protected.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
It always baffles me, when people choose to *pay* for an antivirus for home use. I mean a combination of free software is good enough to meet most people's requirements....If it's in a business environment I'd rather understand.

Are the *little extra's* worth it? Especially when they can be achieved with other free tools.

I'll put it in really simple terms, short explanation :

Not every users (the casual user at least) have our knowledge and ability to download, install and setup free Antiviruses and protection utilities to create a decent system protection. Paying for a software that does it all for you, that you only have to install, activate and forget is better in time, efficiency and knowledge-level.

That's it.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I'll put it in really simple terms, short explanation :

Not every users (the casual user at least) have our knowledge and ability to download, install and setup free Antiviruses and protection utilities to create a decent system protection. Paying for a software that does it all for you, that you only have to install, activate and forget is better in time, efficiency and knowledge-level.

That's it.

No am talking about most people on this forum....Am sure they are above par....

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Most novice users think paid products are simply better which isn't always true.

Which is what I was talking about....

Especially when an antivirus scores better in one test, I can see the users switching from their current to that one.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yikes!! It sounds as though waging:eek: wars are (sadly,:( and in this respect..) nearly as thoughtless and :oops:based on ignorance as switching out AV's when based on propaganda.o_O I'm kidding,;) but there is a sliver of "proof in the pudding".:):rolleyes:
No am talking about most people on this forum....Am sure they are above par....
Thanks, jackuars. I'd like to get as close to "above par...." as I possibly can.:p:D

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Well I use "paid" security software but I haven't paid anything for it in quite some time do to giveaways and long term trials. And being I like to do a clean install of my OS about once a year it frees me up to hit all the trials again :)

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
I pay for a package for my whole household.
This is only every 3-4 years and the cost is so low then why not :)
The package i choose also covers all bases of prevention and detection.

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Why should not you pay security software use?

First: are not any AV IS free the user want to have

secondly: Some want the accessories is available only in the paid version

thirdly :Not every AV-IS runs equally well on any PC

There are many reasons why a user
Paid security software

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've just always gone for paid (Trend Micro). Reason why I keep getting the paid version, is that I get the Max version, which does everything, from Mobile security to Direct Pass, to my backup and to protect my PC. For all under $100 Australian.

:)

Reactions: Nedim

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I think that home and non profit organizations should have a free version, companies should pay, also to have a paid version if some users wanna buy and have more options.

Reactions: vrb93

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Noobs/regular/normal users are going to pay for the full suite as they wont have a clue about building up one for free and who could blame them ? I suppose that`s basically what Aura said.

Although they`re missing out on that smug feeling when you know you`ve got something for free thats as good if not better than the paid version.:D

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Noobs/regular/normal users are going to pay for the full suite as they wont have a clue about building up one for free and who could blame them ? I suppose that`s basically what Aura said.

Although they`re missing out on that smug feeling when you know you`ve got something for free thats as good if not better than the paid version.:D

Regards Eck:)
Ah, spoken like a true shopper, and an experienced shopper who is particular about his choices and knows a great value when he see it!:p;) This rightly encourages others to explore further in order to discover something good for themselves too.:cool: When we find what we are looking for, particularly when it turns out to be priced low, or even (dare I say it) *gasp* :eek: free, we allow ourselves to feel a little smarter by taking part in knowing something particular (often times "something" that is good) from our experience with a quality product, and further, by wanting to share this knowledge it expands outward, evolving into becoming something on a higher level, ..and well, something special.o_O ...something that's just like what we have here!!:D :):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Behold Eck
Y

yigido

Security is not a luxury, it is a right. It must be free. Companies should pay for it. Vendors make money from company and gives the free security to home users
Home users do not need to pay.
a free AV + Windows Firewall + multiple on-demand scanners + Security extensions on browser + a litlle computer security sense= best security for them

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
if a pure av company doesn't sell any product, this company dies. Paying users keep the free version alive.

and you ask only for AV, or security software in general?

Reactions: avast! Protection

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.