Why Gecko based browsers cannot handle YouTube (Flash) Videos smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello MTers!

I have a question, actually a subject to discuss here, why does Gecko based browsers (FF,Cyberfox,Pale Moon etc.) cannot render YouTube videos as smooth as Chrome does? This is a nasty problem that itches me nowadays..

I got no extensions to get involved with YouTube or its media files, so I guess it should not be only my problem or any occurrence from my system.

Any thoughts or articles about this or any fixes are all welcome! :)

Thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google activated HTML5 as the default player for Youtube. You can check here: https://www.youtube.com/html5

Even if Adobe Flash Player is enabled in IE11, the default player will be HTML5. Right-click video and click About, you will be redirect to the link above and see something like:
upload_2015-2-11_20-42-56.png

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Oh thank you so much @Huracan ! :) I've changed it to HTML5 now, and videos are more smoother! :)

But I think, Firefox should make HTML5 default too, am I right?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For some reason, long time before when I use FF on Linux; flash player is not working well and HTML5 video is already enforced without clicking any configuration.

The only thing to stay with Flash Player is because of majority websites uses and HTML5 still at limit range.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
For some reason, long time before when I use FF on Linux; flash player is not working well and HTML5 video is already enforced without clicking any configuration.

The only thing to stay with Flash Player is because of majority websites uses and HTML5 still at limit range.

Hmmmm this is strange! Yes, you are right Flash has the majority, but after seeing that Google can handle YouTube with default vs. Firefox must change the Flash to HTML5, this would surely lead away a lot of users! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.