Why there is so much different in detection between AV vendors?

Khairul

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
Hi there forumers, lets do some relaxing discussion.

On things come to my mind lately, why is there so much different in detection between vendors? And what come to my mind is:

The AV Research Centre Or site Or Accesability to test site? (Like "maybe" Kaspersky has unlimited access to their goverment PC and Network to make observation and quickly detect new Malware?)

The customer Cooperation? (Via submitting Discovered Malware Sample)

The AV country original? (Like Kaspersky from Russia, and The new malware created daily are high which make them can detect most of the malware, Or ESET has strong position in Europe (Based on CRDF threat daily statistic) due to maybe it research base are there.)

Or Simply because they succesfully created Av that can detect virus through behaviour?

And lastly the most conroversial speculation in my mind is, because they themselves is the source of creating new malware?

Well i didnt create the poll, because simply, i think there might be much more answer than the one i listed above. Maybe our forumers has another idea?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
True, very true the most dangerous malware mainly comes from Russia, and the largest amount comes from Russia. But the most scary thing is sites like gangsta bucks which again is from Russia allows people who can create viruses, but don't have the resources to proliferate their malware around the globe, gangsta bucks will buy those infected PC's, someone else's infected PC.

No, I don't believe antivirus companies create viruses and then spread them, if so, imagine the war between each other, oh Norton did this, Kaspersky released that, with the level of hacking, Government hacking they would be found out. Plus you now have Kaspersky working with Netherlands Police.

This talk by Mikko Hypponen on TED talks will give you a huge insight - He works for F-Secure and various Government panels.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my personal view, establishing an Antivirus needs a lot of technological enhancement to obtain better accurate information and origin of viruses may be a factor especially if the area of responsibility provides lots of sources to determine and classify.

User submission and through cloud also increase the detection capabilities as staffs couldn't manage to obtain everything as alone within 24/7 span, including automation process.

There are many speculations about AV creating own viruses but if that happen then nothing will be stable on the industry and scandal may cause to fell down dramatically.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Probably, the same question has been asked about cars, and every other consumer product ever massed produced. Why do some seemingly similar products perform head and shoulders over others of the same type? The answer is never a one size fits all simplicity. But typically, resource(s) is the key. Whether those resources are in the form of a visionary leader who can project a vision into the design and efficacy of the product. Or should the leader not be so blessed, instead surrounds himself/herself with talented staff who can pull off the same thing. And lets not forget money, regardless of national boundaries, in many cases the companies with deep pockets are in a much better position to innovate and eclipse their lesser funded rivals. Of course, with the latter, thankfully, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
On things come to my mind lately, why is there so much different in detection between vendors? And what come to my mind is:
Mainly due to the difference in their technologies (detection algorithm, heuristics, analysis etc.) and how they interact with the customer base.

Ever wonder why Emsisoft and Malwarebytes are on the rise, although Emsisoft is probably the smallest AV company on the planet (excluding the one-man developed AVs)?

Reactions: Ramona

superboy123

Level 4
Verified
May 1, 2012
what i know...antivirus company have diffrent signature because depend their research and their feedback by user....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.