Win 10 & System Restore space

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
My systems C drive is 100 GB. After install/update/drivers/programs, etc...& all... 75 GB is free.
How much should I allocate for system restore?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You mean clean Win 10 install?
Coz on my clean Win 10 install system restore was disabled by default.
It should be enabled by default.Mine is at the default level 2% which is about 9.30 GB
2 or 4 % should be fine as if you find yourself short on free space you can always delete the older restore points and change the system restore size

Reactions: nissimezra and Ink

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I have mine off because I lost count of how many times I've tried to use system restore under windows 7/8.1 under my ssd and it has never worked (not even once*there seems to be an error or problem every time). I don't really know why but I will give it a try this time on Windows 10.

Reactions: nissimezra

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yeap total fresh install. I must admit I've never used system restore, I just reinstall as it's easier.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I have mine off. I never needed to use it at all. Usually if my system goes boom it's to the point where system restored ok for or isn't going to help me at all. I use Shadow Defender and if the file is dodgy I will check it with virus total when downloaded. If I want to test it, I'll run it in Sandboxie to see what it does with Shadow Defender on. Bit extreme I know but you can never be 100% safe these days with all the cryptolockers and ransomwares going around. I have yet to be hit with one, tbh.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It should be enabled by default.Mine is at the default level 2% which is about 9.30 GB
2 or 4 % should be fine as if you find yourself short on free space you can always delete the older restore points and change the system restore size
Ok...I will set it around 2-4%.

But I think I have read on the net that system restore on Win 10 is disabled by default.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ok...I will set it around 2-4%.

But I think I have read on the net that system restore on Win 10 is disabled by default.
Yes you are right I did an upgrade as I thought you did also.I see now that you did a clean install :oops:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No need to touch the allocation space, system restore are preferably enough to provide the minimal percentage of restore points. All you have to do is eliminate that which already over 90 days to save more spaces.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
System Restore is actually a really good feature. If I want to try out a new security software in my PC, then I create a restore point first.

Then I remove the current security software & then install the new security software. If I don't like the new security software, I restore the PC. :p

Apart from that, it hasn't been of much help. Reinstalling the OS is a better option in case of errors.

@yesnoo Just leave it at default.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Mine was disabled by default as well (clean install, education edition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.