Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Stats show that Edge adoption is still low right now
Microsoft launched Edge browser in Windows 10 with much fanfare, saying that it finally has a powerful rival for the other apps in this software category, but statistics show that Google Chrome is not in any way threatened by the arrival of the modern Internet Explorer successor.

Data provided by Quantcast in the United States shows that Google Chrome has a market share on Windows 10 of 70 percent, which is pretty impressive given the fact that previously, Firefox was considered a tough nut to crack for the Mountain View-based search company.

It turns out, however, that Google won the fight with Mozilla, so Firefox dropped to the second place with nearly 15 percent, while Edge browser, Microsoft's all-new app, is third with some 12 percent of the market.

Chrome is also the leader on everything Windows
Windows-wise, Google Chrome still leads the market with a little below 70 percent, but as you can see in the charts, its performance was full of ups and downs, especially because of the arrival of Edge browser. But in this case, Microsoft's browser is at around 2 percent, with Internet Explorer still having approximately 18 percent of the market.

The analyst firm believes that Microsoft's new Windows 10 can't help Edge compete with Chrome directly and no matter the improvements the company makes in its browser, it's still impossible to stop Google's domination in the browser market on the long term.

“The Windows 10 rollout seems to be a success for Microsoft. More and more users are using Windows 10 every day, and most have shifted off of the old Internet Explorer,” Quantcast wrote.

“However, that movement hasn’t entirely been towards Edge, with a number of users choosing Chrome instead. Microsoft may be able to make further inroads into the browser market with Edge, but it’ll take more than a new operating system to unseat Chrome’s dominance.”

Indeed, Microsoft is working on some pretty big updates for Edge browser, and the most important is the addition of extensions, which should arrive in the app sometime this year. Edge will work with Chrome extensions and Microsoft plans to make them compatible with little to no code changes.

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's lower market share can only be blamed on Microsoft for releasing a half-baked browser. It's been 2 months since Windows 10 was released, and nothing to boost Edge's user-base, except for the fact that Edge cannot be disabled or uninstalled. If Edge was so important to Microsoft, they would have delayed the Windows 10 launch, so at least the browser would be competitive-ready*.

(*containing features to compete with Chrome, Firefox and Opera).

Reactions: Oxygen and XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

I guess they didnt take account of people waiting Edge to implement addons. Once they will do many will shift.

Reactions: XhenEd

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Edge don't support extensions lile ublock, themes and it makes a worst and insecure (because of malvertising) browser

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 178

Edge don't support extensions lile ublock, themes and it makes a worst and insecure (because of malvertising) browser

Edge itself is very secure , this is not edge fault if you click on ads. Edge will have extension soon.

I dont need ublock to be safe, i just dont click ads. I use adblockers to avoid see ads and load the page faster, not only for security.

Reactions: rupeshkj and Ink

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Edge itself is very secure , this is not edge fault if you click on ads. Edge will have extension soon.

I dont need ublock to be safe, i just dont click ads. I use adblockers to avoid see ads and load the page faster, not only for security.
But on latin america it has a low detection rate of malicious pages

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I have been using Chrome before I switched from XP to windows 7. I haven't seen any reason to switch over to Edge. I think a large portion of users like me skew these stats a bit.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

But there are cases where the user doesn't have to click anything, right? I think that news was about an exploit.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I use Chrome because it's simple. It doesn't try to impress you with a lot of menus and such. Rarely I have Chrome fail on me.

Honestly, I think the BIGGEST issue is that people who aren't that good with tech, they use IE. I have seen it a million times at work. Maybe Edge is too foreign to them.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As always a premature browser will take time to mold and improve more enhancements before comparing to a well established competitor like Google Chrome.

The simplicity covered already by Edge but primarily focus to improve the performance alongside of security capabilities, so that result should not be an alarming case for everyone.

Reactions: NekoJonez

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I felt this belonged here.

Just thinking out loud, but are non tech savy people actually aware about Microsoft Edge? I think they either look for Internet Explorer or an alternative browser.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 348

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But on latin america it has a low detection rate of malicious pages
It's safer to bookmark your trusted sites, and take caution before visiting other sites. Edge supports a Reading Mode on some websites which eradicates Ads.

You can use desktop-based AdBlocking software or techniques to stop Ads from appearing in Edge.

Insecure? Firefox is considerably worse than Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer.
See more about Electrolysis - MozillaWiki for Firefox.

Reactions: illumination

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
It's safer to bookmark your trusted sites, and take caution before visiting other sites. Edge supports a Reading Mode on some websites which eradicates Ads.

You can use desktop-based AdBlocking software or techniques to stop Ads from appearing in Edge.

Insecure? Firefox is considerably worse than Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer.
See more about Electrolysis - MozillaWiki for Firefox.
Firefox is more lighter and australis it seems to me well and is open source

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.