Windows 10 in head-on crash with Nvidia drivers as world watches launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Unstoppable auto-updates? More like auto-borkage.

Microsoft's automatic updates feature in Windows 10 has collided with Nvidia's driver system, sending the new operating system off the rails as it launches.

Early adopters are experiencing glitches (particularly in multi-monitor setups), and in some cases crashes, all triggered when Windows 10 automatically updates its graphics card drivers.

The misfiring upgrade has sparked howls of protests from netizens on the Nvidia forums and elsewhere.

The issue stems from a push-me-pull-you conflict between Windows Update and Nvidia’s own driver and software management tool, Nvidia GeForce Experience. Forbes reports that the latest driver version, 353.54, is only available through Windows Update, it isn't very stable, and yet Windows 10 installs it anyway automatically.

Nvidia GeForce Experience tries to downgrade the software to an earlier stable version (353.30), but is blocked by Windows 10, leaving users with broken systems.

Previous versions of Windows Update treated driver updates as optional but this has changed with Windows 10 – and this is why the dodgy driver is forced on users with frustrating consequences.

Links

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

https://grahamcluley.com/2015/07/windows-10-borked-automatic-updates-nvidia-drivers/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Thats why I have not upgraded to Win 10 yet. As more and more people start using it a lot of bugs will be found. I think it may be a month or so before Win 10 becomes really stable.

Reactions: LabZero

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My drivers are on 353.62 which was released yesterday, 29/07/2015? NVIDIA states it has been working with Microsoft with version 10 and DirectX. 12, coinciding this game ready driver includes the latest tweaks, bug fixes and optimizations to ensure Windows 10 users have the best possible experience, without issues.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
MS should bring back "Optional Updates", which should be manual, and include in it the 3rd party drivers. So that, these drivers won't be automatically installed.

Only MS updates should be force-installed.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
MS should bring back "Optional Updates", which should be manual, and include in it the 3rd party drivers. So that, these drivers won't be automatically installed.

Only MS updates should be forced installed.

Good point, my Windows 7 for example, automatically suggests me obsolete Intel graphics driver, even though I've already installed the latest version.

Reactions: XhenEd
I

illumination

Thread author
I have the same driver as @Tony Cole " 353.62 " released 29/07/2015 on windows 10 on my machine and it is working just fine. I did how ever do a custom "clean install" of the driver package instead of just upgrading the existing one as i do with almost every version they release.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have the previous release of 353.62 and can confirm there is issues, so after work, will do a clean install (once again upgraded to w10)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Now Microsoft should lift their pride on their implementations especially updates which we all know their lapses and flaws. They should concern that Windows 10 is a rescue solution for Windows 8/8.1.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i got the latest drivers personally, i double checked them.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
There was a Microsoft nVidia driver that auto-updated that wasn't (and still isn't) listed on nVidia's site (betas included); it disrupted my machine. I used the tool to hide that update. Hopefully a barrage of complaints feedback will bring back the easy way to hide updates. The other issue is that it doesn't install PhysX and it does install part of the 3D vision driver rather than following the installed configuration.

I think it may be a month or so before Win 10 becomes really stable.
My you're optimistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.