Windows 10 is last Windows as we know it – Microsoft to bet on Windows As A Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Windows 10 will possibly be the last version of Windows with a version number. After Windows 10, Microsoft will likely continue with updating Windows system components without releasing a full new version of Windows.

A developer evangelist of Microsoft stated that Windows 10 would be “the last version of Windows”, during Microsoft’s Ignite conference, according to tech website TheVerge.

“Recent comments at Ignite about Windows 10 are reflective of the way Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner, with continuous value for our consumer and business customers”, according to a Microsoft spokesman when asked about the statement by the technology website.

With this statement Microsoft pretty much confirms there will be no new Windows version with a new version number, but that the company will gradually update Windows and add new features. Version numbers will continue to exist in the actual software, but they are no longer communicated to the outside world. That also means it could be the end of the current Patch Tuesday policy, the monthly Tuesday on which Microsoft releases security patches.

Microsoft has previously stated that Windows will be more and more marketed as a service. Windows as a service will likely mean the operating system will be updated through e.g. the Windows Store.

How users will have to pay for Windows in the future is unclear, however Microsoft always denied it will switch to a subscription model for Windows. A potential business model could be paying for additional features of the operating system or making the operating system free and charge for support, similar to Linux.

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
I doubt it is gonna be the end. There are always new possibilities, better and advanced things that can make a new Windows Release. The "it is the last one" thing is common now-a-days.

Thanks for reading,
John.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I doubt it is gonna be the end. There are always new possibilities, better and advanced things that can make a new Windows Release. The "it is the last one" thing is common now-a-days.

Thanks for reading,
John.
That was my first thought also. o_O:)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
As long as they can provide updates for it I'm good with it.

Now I'm just wondering how far Linux will go in the near future.

Reactions: LabZero and frogboy

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
IMO, windows 7 will be the last Windows that deserves the term Operating System. :D
I don't think you get the complexity and progress Windows 8 did, despite the pathetic criticism it got for "removing the start menu"

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Well, 10 is a nice number to end it with.
But maybe they can change to X, as in Windows X, would be cooler. :cool:

"Windows as a service will likely mean the operating system will be updated through e.g. the Windows Store."
They better be sure that whatever application they use to update it has all the bugs and quirks completely fix before they released 10.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Technology advances or emerges to the limit, therefore that shouldn't be the problem; in this case its more appreciate to use the main flagship of Windows OS in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.