Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't have those mentioned problems so far on my two(2) MS tablets updated with the KB4038788

I guess MS must make sure its OS, firmware/drivers play well with its hardware first before releasing them to others. That's one of the advantages in owning MS hardware.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
P

plat1098

Thread author
This is why backup is important.(y)

True, but in one case (Edge breakage here) and maybe for others, where Edge launched to a blank screen, changing various options in Edge Settings like open new tabs with- and re-launching it each time seemed to "fix" it, at least for now. Dism didn't do doodly, as usual, and restoring from backup would have been overkill, maybe. It's good that some issues here seemed to be easily remedied but it sure wasn't obvious at first how to fix them, just trial and error. And Edge still doesn't work right half the time but disk space is too limited for a third party right now.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I cannot install this update too. Update history says it's installed successfully, but it's not shown in Installed updates list. When I restart laptop after "successful installation", I get "We couldn't complete updates, undoing changes". This is like, at least, 20th time Windows Update downloaded this package.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
windows settings > update & security > update history > uninstall updates

in all probability you will see it there, hope this helps you marko :)
I wish, but no, it's not there. That's the Installed updates list I mentioned. I'm trying to install it manually now. :unsure:

Untitled.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
True, but in one case (Edge breakage here) and maybe for others, where Edge launched to a blank screen, changing various options in Edge Settings like open new tabs with- and re-launching it each time seemed to "fix" it, at least for now. Dism didn't do doodly, as usual, and restoring from backup would have been overkill, maybe. It's good that some issues here seemed to be easily remedied but it sure wasn't obvious at first how to fix them, just trial and error. And Edge still doesn't work right half the time but disk space is too limited for a third party right now.
Also for me, playing around with Edge a little bit seems to have fixed it.

robotengineer

Sep 14, 2017
This update downloaded and was installed in my organization. After the reboot several applications would no longer work. Excel 2016, Powerpoint 2016, Firefox (Any Version), Adobe Acrobat and the reader. The only way we were able to resolve the issue was to uninstall the update and postpone updates until a later time. We also discovered that if you start windows in safe mode the applications would start without issue. We also tested on a plain jane installation of windows 10 v1703 with just those apps installed and results were the same indicating it was not a third party piece of software that was causing the problem.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Ah yes MIcrosoft's "Botch Tuesday" stikes again!!(n)
Knock on wood everything went fine on my two machines!!

Windows update doing a big damage in my anniversary build 14393 when trying to upgrade to creators. today doesn't work the start menu, the tray clock, the search&cortana I mean the whole NEW UI interface. piece of SIT. when they will stop forcing customers to swallow those upgrades, meaning: (windows reinstalation in the same partition) with the same programs previously installed and old incompatible configurations with their experiments. That mix is very bad and they keep doing it.
We are essentially beta testing for them and unfortunately for some that means destroying the system itself!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
What happens when I change branch from Current branch to Current branch for Business.

i could be wrong but i think you will need a new activation key for that.

Will I get stable updates which won't cause problems?

i do not think changing the os version would make a difference when it comes to updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.