Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Just a few days ago, Microsoft announced that Windows Insiders will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 (RTM) for free if they’re running the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview build. Microsoft’s Gabriel Aul confirmed that Insiders will be able to clean install Windows 10 RTM for free as well. Now, as it seems like, this isn’t entirely the case.

Here’s an excerpt of the Microsoft blog post where the company states that Windows 10 will “remain activated” for Insiders – even if they clean install Windows 10:

“As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.”

Now, Microsoft has updated its announcement blog post quietly and removed some important phrases from the blog post. Here’s the same excerpt from the updated blog post:

As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.

With the updated blog post, Microsoft has removed the phrase “remain activated” and “activated”. So basically, the updated blog post now states that if Insiders don’t have the license for a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, they will not get genuine Windows after upgrading to Windows 10 RTM build. This means, if you’ve installed Windows 10 Technical Preview, and upgrade to the RTM build of Windows 10 on July 29, you’ll need to downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1 and install Windows 10 again to get a genuine Windows.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Microsoft needs to be specific the first time around, but I'll be here waiting for more change sudden changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piteko21

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I guess all the details are not clear yet, and we are all trying to infer what Microsoft is saying. Which may or may not be the reality when the time comes.

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
please Microsoft, be clear once in a lifetime and clarifies once and for all this issues.

Reactions: frogboy

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I don't trust them anymore, I will keep my W8.1 for as long as possible.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Either it's just down temporarily or MS is doing a scramble to fix the language, because that original text is confusing as hell. Look MS, we have a month and some change to go before this thing gets released. Figure out what to do, stick to it and then tell consumers and the media. It's like they keep harping on the non-genuine thing, we get it, pirates aren't welcome. Thing is, they're going to pirate it anyway, so just shut up about it, release the thing and deal with it later. What a weird change at that company. Ballmer made a decision and stuck to it no matter how badly it came back to bite him, Nadella can't ever seem to stop changing his mind.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well that's something to be confuse, in such logic it makes everything complicated where active insider users will need to revert back on Windows 7/8/8.1 then that's the time to reserve an upgrade.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Keep your current installed version (8.1 or 7) It is VERY early to install win10.
Keep in mind that win 10 will need improvements even after the final release, so until win10 will be completely ready there is no need to install.
Personally i will stay with windows 7 as long as microsoft support it. After i will look probably for Linux , as i don't like how win10 look like.......

Reactions: vindiesel
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.