Troubleshoot Windows 10 Search not working?

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
So, since this afternoon... My search button in Windows 10 stopped working. I click on it, and nothing happens. Thankfully, I use a tool called "Everything" that works perfectly.

Yet, I kinda find this annoying. Since I can't use the search to find things easily that are now kinda hidden in Windows 10.

I tried some fixes people used in the TP. Yet, no luck. Without me knowing, the upgrade to Win10 disabled System Restore, so that is out of the question.

Symptoms: Clicking on the magnifying glass does nothing. When changed into a bar, I can't enter ANYTHING.

After some digging, I found this in my error logs.

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16401, time stamp: 0x55b1a665
Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16401, time stamp: 0x55b1a665
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x000000000012b7b1
Faulting process id: 0x1e28
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cd23c6a92ef8
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Report Id: b846da15-3fb0-4d10-8fe9-936ac31cf65a
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

OR

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

I haven't had much luck fixing this. Can you guys help me?

Reactions: Kent
D

Deleted member 178

this is how you train Cortana !

wOuLDQ9.jpg

sure i will ask you many things mwahahahaa :D

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I fixed it by creating a new local account and moving all my files over. But now the store is totally broken, as in ... gone.

So, now I will do a clean install... in a VM, steal the files and try to fix it that way.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@NekoJonez : Since you mentioned 'local account' it doesn't mean Windows Store is broken; its unavailable due to you didn't sign in using Microsoft Account.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

I have Cortana & Websearch disabled in Cortana.

But for local searches too it seems Cortana needs net or needs to connect to Microsoft or whatever. Atleast this is my understanding. Could be other prob.
Coz if I block SearchUI.exe in Comodo FW then I can type the search but results are not displayed.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@yesnoo Do not block, delete or rename SearchUI.exe. It's required for Search.
To disable Cortana, uncheck it from the Taskbar options. Cortana will run in the background regardless of settings.

@NekoJonez What errors do you get with Windows Store? Is your installation an Upgrade or Upgrade and Reset?

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.