Troubleshoot Windows 8.1 freezes up at times!?

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I might be watching a video on Youtube for instance and then all of a sudden the computer freezes up and I get an annoying sound coupled with the screen either going black or small vertical white and black stripes.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried calling the store where I bought my new computer and see whether they could help me, but the person I got on the phone could not help because he never encountered the problem himself. ( Which I really doubt, but can not proof. )
I hope the required fields above show up when I create the thread. ( Otherwise I will add the needed info in this post afterwards. )

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@Morro how old is ur PC? If its new, have you turned the automatic updates of ur laptop bundled pre installed softwares? If so I believe it might be in the process of graphics driver updates and sound card updates. If not can u please specify what was the latest software u were trying to install or installed?

Upvote 0

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
@Morro how old is ur PC? If its new, have you turned the automatic updates of ur laptop bundled pre installed softwares? If so I believe it might be in the process of graphics driver updates and sound card updates. If not can u please specify what was the latest software u were trying to install or installed?

My Desktop is very new, I got it on last Thursday the 19th. I have run windows update several times since then to make sure that windows is up to date. But these freezes or full lock up already happened before I installed other software then what came with the computer? So I am not sure that it could be that? ( Could it? ) The first time I experienced that my new computer completely lock up was after 45 minutes of starting up my computer.

Just found this: Apparently I am not the only one in the world who has this problem.

It is freaking annoying, especially since it can not be predicted? Some of my new system specs can be seen on my security thread. ( Link is in my sig. )

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I hope the required fields above show up when I create the thread. ( Otherwise I will add the needed info in this post afterwards. )
Im assuming getting your new computer was recent, at which it is still covered by a warranty, most if not all come with at least a 1 year warranty. I would call the place again, and tell them they need to make this right. With the little bit of info above, it could be a long guessing game figuring out to which the problem lies, whether it is driver related, or hardware..

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you just purchased it on the 19th then it is under warranty.It would be much better to make use of the warranty than trying to figure out the problem here without having the PC in front of us.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Just a suggestion...

If you can,

Return it !!! ... and save yourself a lot of aggravation, frustration and headaches.

Reactions: Morro
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually that will be a problematic graphics/video drivers, try to use the tool bundled to update for latest graphics drivers caused my HP laptop does happen often before but strange it does not persist already.

Try to report from them so that it can assist the situation and replace a new computer. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Just a suggestion...

If you can,

Return it !!! ... and save yourself a lot of aggravation, frustration and headaches.

LoL unfortunately I can not do that, my old computer broke down. :)

Actually that will a problematic graphics/video drivers, try to use the tool bundled to update for latest graphics drivers caused my HP laptop does happen often before but strange it does not persist already.

Try to report from them so that it can assest the situation and replace a new computer. ;)

Okay i will, thanks jamescv7. :)

Upvote 0

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
something similar happens to me when the video driver is no working properly.... windows wont show the screen and a freeze sound will be hear, you may look for the updated driver for your pc, long time ago I fixed a pc where windows will just give a BSOD when playing local videos on WMP this problem was caused by a corrupted codec and an incompatibility between the video driver... i will recommend you to format your pc and install a fresh windows with up to date drivers, here are the pages where you can find your drivers INTEL or AMD

BUT as your pc is brand new i will consider to apply the warranty, because sometimes if you make a big change in your setup like formatting you will loose the protection of the warranty... but dont worry it seems that it is just a buggy driver...

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.