Windows 8.1 support dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
"Microsoft TechNet blog makes clear that Windows 8.1 will not be patched, and that users must get Windows 8.1 Update if they want security patches, InfoWorld's Woody Leonhard reports. 'In what is surely the most customer-antagonistic move of the new Windows regime, Steve Thomas at Microsoft posted a TechNet article on Saturday stating categorically that Microsoft will no longer issue security patches for Windows 8.1, starting in May,' Leonhard writes. 'Never mind that Windows 8.1 customers are still having multiple problems with errors when trying to install the Update..."

So, should we move quickly to Windows 8.1 update 1?

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I'm still wondering .. why ?? and what ?

So if I install a fresh windows 8 on a new pc in june ? no updates ? nothing ?

mmmory

Level 2
Verified
Nov 4, 2013
Vanilla windows 8 will still get patches until April 2015 as far as I know, but Windows 8.1 users should install Update 1. This is not like a windows 8 to 8.1 update from windows store anyway. I understand that people don't want to upgrade to 8.1 because of the compatability issues, but this update is no different than monthly security patches which everyone should install.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I'm still wondering .. why ?? and what ?

You should receive the updates so far in June. After that, you won't receive any future update, as it's said in this report. You have to update to Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Windows Store will update you directly from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Update 1 included.

But for those running Windows 8.1 right now, should update to Update 1 before May 2014

Reactions: SifhX

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Windows Store will update you directly from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Update 1 included.

But for those running Windows 8.1 right now, should update to Update 1 before May 2014

Thanks for info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.