Windows Defender's malware protection still leaves much to be desired after recent evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The AV-TEST ran an evaluation of Windows 8.1 antivirus protection and posted their results yesterday. Previous to this round of tests, the AV-TEST ran evaluations on Windows 7 in January of this year (as Windows 7 is still in broad use), and tested Windows 8.1 again, back in October of 2014. With each test, the results remained relatively disappointing.

Microsoft’s Windows Defender came in at a paltry 9.5 points. The overall score was weighted down by an embarrassing “0” in the category of protection. The score of 0 is a bit confusing as, Windows Defender was found to protect 77% of incoming threats. There was a slight uptick from the 69% Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials covered in their January testing.

WinDefender.jpg

Before you toss your PC in the trash and run to your nearest Apple Store, or worse, decide to get a Chromebook, there a couple of things to note about the Windows Defender score.

The first is that Windows has an install base of 1.5 billion users, and the more a platform grows, the bigger a target it becomes. Running from one platform to another, only moves the target. Two, it’s free. Windows Defender is a free piece of software that protects against 77% of attacks. While 77 is less than 100, most users have over half their security taken care of with a program that comes with the system for free. Three, it’s automatic. There are no site and search comparisons; there are no signups or installations. Every so often the antivirus software updates itself and scans your PC.

Full Article

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I almost gagged when I read these test qualifications:

The first is that Windows has an install base of 1.5 billion users

1). This is a meaningless statement. The 1.5 billion is the total (approximate) number of Windows installations worldwide. The author wants the reader to infer that 1.5 billion systems are solely protected by WD, which is not the case. Taking away all other 3rd party software installations (and MSE also), is the number is 20% it would be generous.

and the more a platform grows, the bigger a target it becomes

2). In other words, since a majority of malware is written for Windows, WD can't keep up. Well, this hasn't stopped products like Avast, Qihoo, Kaspersky, etc.

it’s free

3). So are Qihoo, Avast, Avira. Just because the product is free does not mean it has to suck.

While 77 is less than 100, most users have over half their security taken care of

OH MY GOD- this has to be one of the stupidest statements I've ever read. Basically as it may work more often than not the user should be happy and grateful.

there are no signups or installations

I guess the author is giving a pass to the totally oblivious. As it works some of the time, it's OK to remain ignorant.

(and if WD actually catches 77% of anywhere near new malware then I'm a lawyer!).

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
I guess the author is giving a pass to the totally oblivious. As it works some of the time, it's OK to remain ignorant.

(and if WD actually catches 77% of anywhere near new malware then I'm a lawyer!).
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.