App Review Windows Firewall- An extremely Brief Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for posting. I know there have been numerous computer professionals/techs that state Windows firewall has evolved to the point where a 3rd party software firewall is not necessary. I personally have never been comfortable using just the windows firewall, and have always relied on a 3rd party firewall.

Last edited:
Y

yigido

Great test again ;) I love your short reviews please keep them up :)
By the way
R3f1pbE.gif

I

illumination

The reason it is suggested windows firewall is enough, is two fold. First, most average users are not going to know what to allow out bound on their systems with a firewall such as CFW set to custom. They will end up clicking allow everything just to stop the annoying pop ups "as that would be what those pop ups would be to them..

Secondly, the outbound ruleset is effective once the machine has become infected, would it not be better to focus on preventing these things to enter in the first place?

I have posted similar posts in the past, so im not bashing your post, or being a hypocrite. I have simply realized that not everyone is on the same level as some of us, and can not properly configure and use some of these products such as CIS. I have also come to realize over time, that a majority of the traffic on this site, are not registered members, but guest glancing through.

Y

yigido

The reason it is suggested windows firewall is enough, is two fold. First, most average users are not going to know what to allow out bound on their systems with a firewall such as CFW set to custom. They will end up clicking allow everything just to stop the annoying pop ups "as that would be what those pop ups would be to them..
This is what makes me sad :(

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Comodo is much more than a firewall. The windows firewall has no hips and no defense+. so you can't compare both. the windows firewall is only a firewall.....nothing more.
@Dani Santos
Also a router firewall is not more then a firewall....it can not save you from malware.....therefore you need an AV....:)

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Although all the old hands here already know about the deficiencies of Windows firewall, many do not (or just don't think about it). As long as the Video is new knowledge for at least one reader, my purpose is accomplished.

(Petrovic- I just used a keylogger as an example. The theory is the same for worms, downloaders, etc)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I enjoyed your demonstration Ms. sister whom is Cruel!:)
Since I'd arrived here directly from an eye catching post our very own @cruelsister wrote upon a thread which pointed out IS suites that merely boost / or 'enhance' Windows Firewalls performance whilst development of their own proprietary firewalls devolve into being pushed to the discontinued wayside,
I've a question ..or would it be more like a dream?o_O Do you (or anyone here) know whether any of those aforementioned 'enhancements' & 'boosters' to Windows Firewall (perhaps alchemically;)) grant any outbound blocking capabilities?
*I shall contemplate this while weighing differences:rolleyes: between the impossible & the improbable before blowing out ones birthday candles.:cool:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.