Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Microsoft will give those who tested the next version of Windows through the Windows Insider program a free upgrade path to Windows 10 when the OS is released to manufacturing. Historically major Windows updates have cost money, so by providing a free upgrade, Microsoft is saying thanks to those who spent the time testing beta versions of the OS.

When this news was first revealed by Microsoft's Gabriel Aul through Twitter yesterday, there was a little bit of confusion as to how the upgrade would work, with some people speculating that the free upgrade meant a free Windows 10 license. However this is not the case, as the system you're upgrading will still need a valid Windows 7 or 8/8.1 license to make use of the offer.

Microsoft has yet to reveal how much Windows 10 will cost, either as a standalone license or as an upgrade from existing versions of Windows. At the time of Windows 8's launch, Microsoft offered a short-term deal that allowed those upgrading from as far back as Windows XP to get Windows 8 for just $39. Hopefully the company will offer a similar deal for Windows 10.

What seems increasingly clear, though, is that Microsoft doesn't plan on simply giving away free licenses or free upgrades to anyone. Earlier this year Microsoft stated that pirates upgrading to Windows 10 will be able to do so without an existing valid license, but the license will remain invalid after the upgrade is complete.

Windows 10 will launch this summer, potentially around the end of July, with a large array of new features. Those interested in testing out the OS, and securing a free upgrade in the process, can still join Microsoft's Insider Program and download the latest preview build right now.

dejl13

Level 1
Verified
May 1, 2015
Microsoft is finally joining the 21st century! With .NET being open source now and this. Good things ahead..

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Here is a similar article on the topic:

http://www.neowin.net/news/psa-wind...t-year-if-you-have-a-valid-qualifying-license

Seems to me things are still up in the air as of right now.Even though I am already a MS insider and have downloaded the ISO with product key I am a little apprehensive about upgrading my current OS with the latest Insider preview build 10074

I've seen much more stability with build 10074 and more compatibility with more AV/IS/AM. I would never use it to overwrite a finalized build of Windows (7 in my case). I will wait and see the details before doing anything major. I've decided not to test for long durations until a beta or RC comes out. I'll dual boot with 7 for about a week then delete the Windows 10 partition and repeat when a new iso is available on the site since for some reason Windows Update in the past has screwed to the point that it no longer allowed me to update after a handful of updates.

I like Windows 10 but at the same time I don't. Love the notifications, and the store where you can get very useful/cool apps with the ease of a Windows/iOS/Android phone, but I hate the new updater. Put it back in the control panel... I couldn't select what updates I wanted or when I wanted to install them. It might be why I have had problems in the past. Critical files were probably broken when I restarted/shutdown while it was still working without my knowledge. Previous versions of Windows told me of updates, the newer builds of Windows 10 are just jerks about it. Hope they fix or I'm just doing something wrong.

Reactions: Exterminator

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
UPDATE :

Microsoft is set to release Windows 10 later this year and users of current versions of the operating system will get an upgrade free of charge. That's what Microsoft said and made abundantly clear last January when it presented key consumer features of the new OS including Cortana, Project Spartan (now Microsoft Edge), DirectX 12, and Hololens, which seemingly runs some version of Windows 10.

So where's the confusion?

Since the announcement, there have been some mixed signals and speculation about who'll get the free upgrade and who won't. Here's a brief overview of the different upgrade paths to Windows 10...

Windows 10 for pirates

Users running pirated copies of Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10. However, their Windows license will remain invalid after the upgrade process is complete, meaning pirates won't be getting a "free" upgrade to Windows 10.

This will likely mean that non-genuine users will be subject to anti-piracy countermeasures after the upgrade, if previous versions are anything to go by.

With this move, Microsoft gets the opportunity to "re-engage" pirates by making the upgrade path straightforward and have a wider adoption of its latest OS platform regardless if the user paid for a license or not.

Windows 10 for Insiders
Microsoft will give a free upgrade path to the final release of the OS to those who beta tested Windows 10 through the Insider program.

This only means you will be able to upgrade to the final RTM (Release to Manufacturing) code without the need of a clean install, but it doesn't get you a free copy of Windows 10. Microsoft has not confirmed, but has vaguely hinted, you will be able to validate current Windows 7/8 licenses to get a genuine Windows 10 license when coming from the Insider Previews.

Windows 10 for current users of Windows Vista, XP
Windows XP was released 13 years ago and it is no longer a supported platform. There is no way you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 from XP or Vista systems, a clean install will be required. No free offers for the first year. Nada.

Windows 10 for current users of Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1
As announced in January, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 7 for the first year.

Microsoft's intention is clear: drive massive adoption of its latest operating system on most modern PCs. Windows 7 is found on nearly half of all Windows-based PCs and a wide majority of that hardware will be equally capable to run the more secure, up to date version of the OS.

Once a device is upgraded to Windows 10, it’ll be supported for the lifetime of the device.

What happens after the first year?
That's a good question. Microsoft under Satya Nadella is rapidly changing, and Windows as a service appears to be next.

The company has already talked about moving away from big Windows releases in favor ofsmaller incremental updates that continually evolve the operating system. They have gone as far as calling it the last version of Windows.

“Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10,” said Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft Developer Evangelist.

Users taking advantage of the free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8 can continue to use Windows 10 as valid license owners indefinitely.

Those who for some reason don't upgrade until after the offer has expired will likely have to pay for Windows 10. Microsoft has yet to reveal how much they will charge for the OS as standalone software, but the writing on the wall suggests they want to move to a different model, one that's been a long time coming.

Windows as a Service
With Microsoft wanting to build Windows 10 into every type of device -- PCs, tablets, phones, Xbox, HoloLens, IoT appliances -- regular consumers may never have to pay for Windows again. Even today, OEMs are no longer paying for Windows on devices smaller than 9 inches.

But evidently a world where Microsoft makes no money is nowhere near to reality. What we're seeing instead is the disruption of a model that served them well for the last three decades, but is no longer sustainable when your list of direct competitors includes the likes of Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung and Facebook, to name a few.

We won't know for a while, but a new Windows business model could take many shapes: subscription-based, pay what you want/pay for add-ons, indirect sales via Bing ads and the Windows Store, a Windows + Office 365 cloud bundle...

Making money from an active base of Windows users is the company's next big challenge, but to get there they've first set sights on building massive adoption into a single platform. The company learned this the hard way with mobile: there is no product to monetize if no one is using your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.