• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Win 7 64

Windows Updates set to "check for updates but let me down/install".
This setting will notify me?

Or under Action Center settings "Windows Updates needs to be checked to notify"?
I have unchecked this coz this checked makes Action Center to notify solve 1 prob & other users on this shared system always enable WU.

So I want to know if disabling Action Center settings for WU & keeping WU to check but let me down/install will notify or not?

Reactions: Logethica

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
If you choose "check for updates but let me download/install" windows update will show you notification about new updates.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Action Center will only provide notifications for any Windows issues. Hiding the notification won't install any Windows Updates.

Is that what you are looking for?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
By turning off Windows update message from Action Center will no longer notify you on the following settings you've set.

'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them', this clarifies that it will not notify (when message for WU are off) you until you open WIndows Update itself prior to install those updates with your own right.'

Other option where it will 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them' where also same or even do not update.

That should be fine as you can check and investigate if there are some bad updates release from Microsoft.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
By turning off Windows update message from Action Center will no longer notify you on the following settings you've set.

'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them', this clarifies that it will not notify (when message for WU are off) you until you open WIndows Update itself prior to install those updates with your own right.'

Other option where it will 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them' where also same or even do not update.

That should be fine as you can check and investigate if there are some bad updates release from Microsoft.
So you mean disabling message for WU in AC will not notify me of WU?

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014

As far as i know windows 7 shows notifications for "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and "download updates but let me choose when to install"(something like that :p )

In windows 8 things are little different. also he/she can disable windows update related notification via action center.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On Windows 8.1, if you have pending Important Windows Updates, there will be a message on the Lock screen. As far as I know, this cannot be removed until the updates have been installed. Also applies if you have out-of-date Windows Defender definitions, unless it's disabled.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : Yes cause on my Windows 8.1 I've done that on my way.

@VirusAttak: Well technically you're right.

In previous Windows versions such as Windows 7, selecting the option to notify us before downloading and installing updates used to work without any problem. Whenever there were new updates available, Windows Update used to show its icon in Taskbar notification area (or system tray) to notify us about the new updates. We could click on the icon and select the updates to download and install.

But this functionality has been removed from Windows 8. Now Windows 8 doesn't show any notification icon in system tray about the new updates available. It only shows the notification about new updates at login screen. Now that's a strange behavior! If we don't log off or restart our computer system frequently, if we always hibernate our system and if we have set Windows to automatically log into our user account without asking for password, how will we know about the new updates because we'll not see the login screen at all?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-show-ne...lable-notification-icon-in-windows-8-taskbar/

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Lets see if WU are available, will be notified or not.

WU set to "check for updates but let me decide whether to down/install them".
Action Center - WU option - Unchecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.