[WIP] ESET Smart Security 8 Concept By MrXidus

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Very nice, I don't have any criticism at all. Again I love the way you present the information on the main page. It's easy to read, the spacing, the color palette complementary and matching the whole aero aesthetic well. If I had to make a point though, I'd say the very, thin red border on the alert window doesn't really work for me, it looks a little skeuomorphic. I would say just stick with having the header and let the actual alert box display naturally ;) But again, not a criticism just a personal preference :)

Overall, fantastic work!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Very nice, I don't have any criticism at all. Again I love the way you present the information on the main page. It's easy to read, the spacing, the color palette complementary and matching the whole aero aesthetic well. If I had to make a point though, I'd say the very, thin red border on the alert window doesn't really work for me, it looks a little skeuomorphic. I would say just stick with having the header and let the actual alert box display naturally ;) But again, not a criticism just a personal preference :)

Overall, fantastic work!

Thank you Cowpipe, I know it's impossible to please everyone but I'm fortunate you like what you see.

As for the thin red border, updated take a look now and see if that's better. ;)

Looks good, but its Metro design.
ESET most likely will not be moving the GUI much further into Metro.

Very nice design and UI, definitely looks like ESET work because of, well ..... all the copied ESET work. :)
1 like for your Mr. Xidus

Thanks and I call it semi-metro whilst keeping the 'ESET feeling'.

For full metro ESET see here.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Thank you Cowpipe, I know it's impossible to please everyone but I'm fortunate you like what you see.

As for the thin red border, updated take a look now and see if that's better. ;)

Much cleaner and much more to my liking :D

I really do think that ESET would be wise to follow your style, I'm not a fan of full metro at all, I think it's rather ugly but here you have just the right balance. It's sort of CSS3 if you don't mind me comparing :)

Reactions: MrXidus

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Minimalism for the win.

Personally, I'd remove the graph because it add no real value but that's just me.

Reactions: MrXidus

MrXidus

Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Minimalism for the win.

Personally, I'd remove the graph because it add no real value but that's just me.

Thanks BSOD, perhaps an option in the ESET settings to turn the graph on or off eh? ;)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Overall, better than others I've seen, and all whilst keeping with the current ESET colours and themes. Should I say it's a modernized version for the Windows 8-era?

I found the Anti-Theft box a little cramp, the previous v7 GUI has more space - as seen here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3158

Alternatively, could have added Anti-Theft to the left-side column with a green/yellow notification box [!] to indicate it's presence, along with the ESET Social Media Scanner - as they can both be found at my.eset.com.

Modified version of yours, to demonstrate the ideas posted above. The green arrows indicate Social Scanner is currently scanning either Fb or Twitter.
ESET-Edit.png

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Overall, better than others I've seen, and all whilst keeping with the current ESET colours and themes. Should I say it's a modernized version for the Windows 8-era?

I found the Anti-Theft box a little cramp, the previous v7 GUI has more space - as seen here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3158

Alternatively, could have added Anti-Theft to the left-side column with a green/yellow notification box [!] to indicate it's presence, along with the ESET Social Media Scanner - as they can both be found at my.eset.com.

Modified version of yours, to demonstrate the ideas posted above. The green arrows indicate Social Scanner is currently scanning either Fb or Twitter.

Bravo @Huracan, I think that's an excellent modification which cleans up the main UI and gives you the opportunity to configure settings for the additional tools on the panel. I like how you've put them at the bottom as well, I can imagine these being optional extras included only with the "premier" versions of ESET, "add-ons" not part of the main program and thus belonging separate from the main menu items.

MrXidus

Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
Yep a head on for a touch of modern metro all whilst keeping the ESET layout and colors we're all used to.

>Anti-Theft box a little cramped

I can agree with that, modifying that now.

Your modification looks good and makes sense, I only included the Anti-Theft notice as a example to visualize what a notice looks like on the Home screen as seen here.

If you don't mind and would like to, could you share with me those icons [edit: Got them] so that I may add them with the matching font and size.

Of course the credit for that is yours.

Cheers Huracan.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.