wordsmith's configuration

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you updated Windows 8 to 8.1 or 8.1.1? I would recommend some type of backup.With your other on demand scanners I would sy you could get rid of SAS.Thanks for sharing your config :)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Nice Config bro, I barely have anything to say (I'm quite picky, consider that as a very good compliment :p)!

1. Get rid of:

-Super Anti Spyware
-Java (If you don't need it)
-Skype (Very commonly exploited, remove if you don't need it)

2. You are using outdated Internet Explorer and Windows, be sure to download Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 to receive critical patches.

3. You should get a backup software. I back up using Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive with only my sensitive documents, but I plan to get an external HDD to fully backup my computer.

Least tips so far :D

Reactions: vrb93

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmm, is there any reason for no backup?

W

wordsmith

Thread author
mucha gracias amigas :)

i personally think windows 8.1 should have been just a service pack rather than a whole new operating system.

in windows 8.1 i see no real temptation besides internet explorer 11.

i have 2 seagate barracudas for my precious pearls & i also have some files on dropbox.

onedrive scans inside a zip folder & will not allow you to upload files microsoft believes are harmful / suspicious.

google drive :eek: never. i keep far away from all things google. the only google product i subscribe to is you tube.

super anti-spyware detected crap called sendori on my computer when all others did not detect it...hence.

i am pretty close to getting rid of java permanently from my computer.

skype is my only resource for video & voice calls hence i have to have it.

i never make back-up discs. if my windows goes irreparable i simply re-install windows.

these are just my views & the way i use my computers.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
mucha gracias amigas :)

i personally think windows 8.1 should have been just a service pack rather than a whole new operating system.

in windows 8.1 i see no real temptation besides internet explorer 11.

i have 2 seagate barracudas for my precious pearls & i also have some files on dropbox.

onedrive scans inside a zip folder & will not allow you to upload files microsoft believes are harmful / suspicious.

google drive :eek: never. i keep far away from all things google. the only google product i subscribe to is you tube.

super anti-spyware detected crap called sendori on my computer when all others did not detect it...hence.

i am pretty close to getting rid of java permanently from my computer.

skype is my only resource for video & voice calls hence i have to have it.

i never make back-up discs. if my windows goes irreparable i simply re-install windows.

these are just my views & the way i use my computers.
I'm actually planning to ditch Google Drive too. Google requires documents to be made with Google Docs/Spreadsheets or else they won't work.

About SAS, it could be a false positive or a PUP.

Reactions: vrb93

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.