Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Web browsers are ground zero for Internet security threats, and the debate over responsibility for preventing those threats has resulted in a Gordian knot. The people behind the new add-on for Firefox called Cocoon (download) want to cut through debate by serving the entire Web to you via proxy. (Cocoon is also available at GetCocoon.com.)

Cocoon_110403_App_Login_1a_610x595.png

Link

Cocoon uses ClamAV for its core antivirus engine according to the link.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Pay for such a solution...wouldn't it be better to use some other proxy type solution which is freely offered?

Example I was checking out a few weeks ago but have until now not mentioned: http://proxpn.com/

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
creates a safe state in which the user can browse the Internet by forcing all interactions between the computer in front of you and the Internet to occur over protected SSL connections to Cocoon's servers. Those servers, in turn, are guarded by Security-Enhanced Linux, which was developed by the United States' National Security Agency.

Very interesting add-on but
7$ x1 2 months = 84$ / year . Come on!!

jeff1

Apr 7, 2011
I work for the company. While the comment is accurate about the $7 a month, we would like to correct the record since the service gives a big price discount for a yearly subscription ($55). We think Cocoon is not just a service to protect against Malware etc. but is very focused in giving people back their privacy on the Web. A proxy server is just one of the values, how about cookies left on our server, not on your computer, or the fact that all your meta data is encrypted on our server (if you want) and available to you on any computer loaded with a cocoon client. If you think you have all these things covered great. However, maybe some one in your family like my older relatives can use the product. I have loaded it on their machines and now I don't have to constantly run over to their house to fix their computers.

However, if price is an issue for you no matter, we really appreciate the discussion of how to make the Internet safer more enjoyable place. If you haven't fully explored all the values of cocoon take a minute to look at the service. Of course we thank you.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I know it is an all-in-one product/service (I like the over all look & feel and the browsing speed I get behind the proxy), but from the simple perspective of blocking infected files here-s what it does:
[attachment=109]
This is loaded in your browser when you try to download infected and perfectly good executable files. A good anti-virus engine (or even multiple engines) scanning files before they reach my PC might be a good addition.

Attachments

• Image 008.png
    Image 008.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 597

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
jeff1 said:
I work for the company. While the comment is accurate about the $7 a month, we would like to correct the record since the service gives a big price discount for a yearly subscription ($55). We think Cocoon is not just a service to protect against Malware etc. but is very focused in giving people back their privacy on the Web. A proxy server is just one of the values, how about cookies left on our server, not on your computer, or the fact that all your meta data is encrypted on our server (if you want) and available to you on any computer loaded with a cocoon client. If you think you have all these things covered great. However, maybe some one in your family like my older relatives can use the product. I have loaded it on their machines and now I don't have to constantly run over to their house to fix their computers.

However, if price is an issue for you no matter, we really appreciate the discussion of how to make the Internet safer more enjoyable place. If you haven't fully explored all the values of cocoon take a minute to look at the service. Of course we thank you.

LOL................The price is not an issue for me but thats not the point. Charging people for such a service is pathetic to begin with. BTW...................I can buy KIS 2011 off Amazon for $25. Thats a 3 user 1 year license. Top that deal.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The load on their servers could be quite high, so it is not unreasonable to charge for this kind of service (I'll leave the price out). The problem is that when it comes to malware protection (a feature that is also advertised) the service/product doesn't offer much (at least not right now).

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
So this add-on scans all downloads with the Clam AV engine??
Like bogdan said it would be nice to add more av engines to your list..
ClamAv is not the best on-demand scanner on the market.
I like the proxy feature.
@jeff : Dose this addon support Chrome , IE and Opera or it's just for firefox? Do you have any plans for future support of this browsers?

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems on their website its only support with firefox yet. Yes its better if more AV support

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Even if offered for free I think a better option is to simply stick with a respected and reliable installed IS Suite, a secure DNS, and if desired something along the lines that I mentioned above where all traffic is routed via a proxy (to better ensure privacy mostly) as well, perhaps if not using ClamAV this would make for a better offering.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It encrypts your connection, it hides your IP behind a proxy. And these two features work great on a laptop that you sometimes connect to hot-spots for example. Every packet you send/receive (through firefox) goes through their server and the connection between you and their server is encrypted. Packets can't be intercepted, sniffed, etc. As a "bonus" they also store your data (cookies, etc) on their servers. But as far as malware protection - not much, as I said, therefore it might be overpriced. Free? I'll definitely use it! But I doubt I'll be able to get the fast browsing speed if it was free.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
@bogdan if you are in a cafe you can use comodo's free Trust connect :) 10GB transfer every mounth for a year. :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Is that free? Where? The official site has no free version as far as I can tell.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
So anyone tested this add-on? I might install it and try it in the next days.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It isn't much to test about it. I mean you could try it (I don't think it wirks with FF4, though) but as malware-prevention it doesn't impress. It shows the same warning for infected and good executables.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Trust connect is meant to create as encrypted connection to you and the rest of the internet. you could see it as a VPN application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.