Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Hey guys, here is my short video about XVirus:

Anyways, program needs following improvements:

-High CPU Usage
-Buggy UI on Windows XP (you'll see in video)
-Program shuts down when i right-click on it and click close.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I tried it a few days ago on WinXP. Tested it with a vbs worm, it crashes after detecting it

Reactions: Dani Santos
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Program shuts down when i right-click on it and click close. - Thats why it says "close". It is supposed to close the program. Thanks for the test

Yes, but program should not be terminated.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
When I right click >close or Alt+F4,program terminates itself and disappears from memory.

I don't get the point. Unless it's been automatically closed by some malwares, it's completely ok.
Close option can disable all checking along with taking no memory/cpu. Sometimes when I play online tournament, I always close my antivirus. So for me close option is great.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
what people have to know:

1- there is a difference between close a program and terminate a program :

- close: you right click the tray icon, the UI is closed , the tray icon disappear , but the service or guard process is still active and you are still protected
- terminate: all is closed, services, processes , etc... you are no more protected at all

what MTest is trying to say , is that by closing Xvirus via "close button" , Xvirus should still protect the system and not be terminated.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014

- close: you right click the tray icon, the UI is closed , the tray icon disappear , but the service or guard process is still active and you are still protected
- terminate: all is closed, services, processes , etc... you are no more protected at all

what MTest is trying to say , is that by closing Xvirus via "close button" , Xvirus should still protect the system and not be terminated.

Remember, if an anti-virus can be terminated by receiving the ALT+F4 keystrokes, then a piece of malware can very easily send those keystrokes automatically to the process to terminate it. This is why commercial anti-virus programs always check the origin of the request to terminate process, and won't let the process terminate except by the close button, and even then there will usually be a confirmation message.

I would suggest you rename it to "Shutdown Protection" so as not to confuse, closing the window and shutting down the anti-virus process (terminate) ;)

Last edited:
M

MalwareT

Thread author

Yes, that's what i'm trying to say.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Remember, if an anti-virus can be terminated by receiving the ALT+F4 keystrokes, then a piece of malware can very easily send those keystrokes automatically to the process to terminate it. This is why commercial anti-virus programs always check the origin of the request to terminate process, and won't let the process terminate except by the close button, and even then there will usually be a confirmation message.

I would suggest you rename it to "Shutdown Protection" so as not to confuse, closing the window and shutting down the anti-virus process (terminate) ;)
It only terminates if you right click the tray icon first. If not it just closes the UI

Reactions: Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.