Guide | How To Your USB Toolkit

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
I have my own usb toolkit and i want to share it with you. There is also set of programs called GEGEEK which is ultimate set of tools. Download is 1.7GB -extracted 3.2 GB. You can download it here for free.
I dont use it, i have my own like i said:

1. AdwCleaner - Best tool to remove adware, PUPs and browser toolbars;
2. Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) - Same as above, little difficult to use;
3. ComboFix - Tool to remove known malware infections;
4. Kaspersky TDSS Killer - Best anti-rootkit tool;
5. BlueScreenView - Free tool to read memory dumps caused by BSOD;
6. Windows Repair (AIO) - Toolbox for fixing errors caused by malware;
7. Geek Uninstaller - Best uninstaller for removing programs that won't uninstall properly;
8. GMER Anti-Rootkit - Same as TDSS Killer;
9. Comodo Cleaning Essentials - Set of tools to clean and repair infected PC;
10. Emsisoft Emergency Kit- Same as above, but much better in detection;
11. Dr.Web Cure It! - Malware scanner;
12. CCleaner - Disk and cache cleaner.

You can also post which tools you have, that above is good enough for me.

LucyN

Level 1
Verified
Jun 16, 2014
I use most of the programs you listed and I've also been using NirLauncher from nirsoft.net. It has more than 150 portable freeware utilities for Windows.

On the download page there are links to add SysInternals utilities and a few other packages. http://launcher.nirsoft.net/download.html

Adding the other packages is pretty easy. (The trick to the Piriform utilities is to keep them in their folders when you drag them into the Nirlauncher folder and make sure the folders have the same name as the program without the version numbers.)

That way I only have to open one launcher. Each program has a description of what it does and they are grouped by type.

I hadn't tried the GEGEEK programs, but I'll give them a try.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
too many tools to write them all, but i use mostly those:

Hiren Boot CD "pirate edition" for multi-purpose tasks on Windows-based OS
all Nirsoft apps
Combofix
and many more...

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Actually, Nirsoft is unsafe to use.
Izrezak.PNG

LucyN

Level 1
Verified
Jun 16, 2014
I need your opinion on ComboFix. I'm posting here, because this is where I first heard about it and I used the GeGeek download link from Silwncer.

I used Avast to scan at Boot. ComboFix was labeled Win32:Dropper-gen [Drp], so I uploaded it to Virus Total where the detection rate was 10/54. I'm familiar with most of the Anti-Virus programs that DID like it. So I think it might be OK. I did read the article on false positive that Fantasy suggested.
Is this a false positive or could the file be infected? Have I got a bad copy?

It also didn't like GeGeek Open Office, WSUS Offline Update, and UVKPortable. labeled Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] for all of them.
I've never downloaded from GeGeek before so I wanted to check out these results.

Suggestions anyone????

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Combofix is clean, an earlier version was infected by a malware but it was fixed already.

UVK (ultra virus killer?) is also clean. Many vendors flaggs antimalware tools or portable apps as malware because they have impact in critical system files.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
A lot of computers I disinfect at work have browsers so clogged up with adware, toolbars and other such junk that they end up being so slow, drives me crazy should I have to download an extra tool or check something with Google. So I keep a small chm file which contains a link to Google, opens in an embedded browser (which doesn't load any of the bho junk).

Other than that I have pretty much the tools listed above, a folder of small fixes and 'helpful files' and other such stuff. So pretty boring on my front I'm afraid :rolleyes::p

The 'chm browser' just in case anyone can think of a use for it ;) Handy if you're at work/school and they block the browser from opening ;) (oh and you can use virustotal from it too, which has come in handy before now)

http://we.tl/0dsWSiaCQp

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Here are my tools

Advanced System Care (Portable)
Avira Antivir (Portable)
Malware Destroyer (Portable)
CCleaner
Adwcleaner
TDSS Killer
Sality Killer (we have lots of those here)
VBS Worm Killer & ShowDir (WinXP)

plus about 300+ tools on my bootable USB drive

Reactions: MalwareT

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
You can read the article posted about this on-going false positive problem that has been reported to all AV vendors many times yet they still detect NirSoft Utilities because they believe that some tools can be used for malicious purposes (although they are completely harmless).

Enjoy!! :D

Do you ever think they will add them as safe?

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Reactions: JimD and Oxygen

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
This will make me think it is unsafe when it is really safe. :oops:

Google is a good start, see the sorts of people who are using it. If security professionals are using it [mentioned in official blogs etc] (eg: John The Ripper) it's probably safe. If skids are using it (eg: Team ZWT PassSteal 6.3.0.21 UnLocKed!), better ask around a bit before you use it, or search for an alternative ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Do you ever think they will add them as safe?
Probably not because by definition some of NirSoft tools are "Hack Tools" developed for good purposes but can be used for illegal or malicious purposes. The developer can not control how his tools are used. I believe AV vendors should flag some of NirSoft tools as password hack tools or potentially malicious but most AV's flag them as Trojans which is not correct.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Probably not because by definition some of NirSoft tools are "Hack Tools" developed for good purposes but can be used for illegal or malicious purposes. The developer can not control how his tools are used. I believe AV vendors should flag some of NirSoft tools as password hack tools or potentially malicious but most AV's flag them as Trojans which is not correct.

thats why i trust mse, it almost always say the truth. well apart from it doesn't detect thats another prob

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.