YouTube has an 8K video (that almost no one can watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

The equipment to shoot it might not exactly be widespread, and the displays needed to view it at home are even less so, but 8K video has made its way to YouTube. It's a feature the outfit announced way back in 2010, but only just recently did a clip surface that actually uses all of those lines of resolution. The clip's called Ghost Towns and it's a slow-panning journey through what looks like a recently abandoned mining settlement. Mountain View told 9to5Google that the 8K label was added earlier this year, but 4320p footage has only appeared pretty recently. The video description notes that Ghost Townswas shot using a RED Epic Dragon 6K camera in portrait orientation and to hit the higher resolution, some of the footage was upscaled or stitched together with Adobe's After Effects suite.

Very few of us will be able to watch this on our everyday machines thanks to the sheer amount of system resources it takes to handle a video of this magnitude, but those who can should be happy to know it apparently runs in Chrome and Safari. Of course, you can peep it in lesser resolutions below as well.

Read more: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/10/youtube-8k-video/

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
At this point it's just about showing off. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for even doing this besides "funsies". If you want to see realistic, just go outside. 4K hasn't even taken off yet, save for an extremely few outdoorsy documentaries and movies (most of which aren't even real 4K). This is getting ridiculous. How about we make Youtube a tolerable place before we start worrying about how pretty its videos look?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
The clarity and the definition is amazing.

Sure is but my computer had a heart attack while loading it. Firefox just green screens the video. GPU at 100%, CPU at 80%.

Forget Youtube!
Cameras are already doing 4K and soon 8K will be available!
Then you need to invest in one of these:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/
;):)

Since 8K has 4x the pixels you could be like "Wow, bro! I got like... 4 pixels per 1 of your pixel! Your TV sucks!"

Yeah lets all go waste money on stupid crap. 1080p to me is far more than enough. The hell is wrong with people. Go cure all types of cancer instead.

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Like I said, go outside. You'll save thousands..and who in gods name wants to see Kim Kardashian in higher def? Like the article said though, we are a LONG time away from 8K and, by then, it'll probably be replaced.
True, but firms are always trying to break "new ground" and it's anavoidable!
I don't particularly care for 4K,but there are the purists who do!
Nevertheless,whatever tickles people's fancies!!:)

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
You can only be so "realistic" before you have to start adding effects or faking it all though. Unless we manage to get holograms working in any K, we're limited in what can be done. You can't just Harry Potter something into existence. It's not really about purity so much as about egos. Having 8K television won't make the picture that much better, it will just make you look good owning it. That's pretty much the goal of all early adopters, it's a status symbol.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
You can only be so "realistic" before you have to start adding effects or faking it all though. Unless we manage to get holograms working in any K, we're limited in what can be done. You can't just Harry Potter something into existence. It's not really about purity so much as about egos. Having 8K television won't make the picture that much better, it will just make you look good owning it. That's pretty much the goal of all early adopters, it's a status symbol.
I have compared 1080p and 4K and the latter looks better, to my eyes at least!
I agree however that the "mine is bigger than your's" mentality will never go away!:)

Reactions: frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

Pretty much anything expensive is a status symbol. I've been called a peasant for not having the money to buy expensive things. On the internet of course. No one dares say anything to my face anymore.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well after all this reading here i am sure that i want one. :eek::p:D

Reactions: Venustus

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I'm speaking of 4K though when I talk about being much better. 1080p and 4K are worlds apart, so yes 4K will look better. But my point is that you can add any amount of numbers in front of a K and you're still going to be limited in how far you can go technologically. You can't get more "real", than "real".

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Pretty much anything expensive is a status symbol. I've been called a peasant for not having the money to buy expensive things. On the internet of course. No one dares say anything to my face anymore.
Well you certainly do not want those people in your life!!;)
Expensive things do not make you who you are!;)
Unfortunately in the materialistic world we live in such comments are to be expected!!:mad:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The best resolution ever experienced.....Stand behind a hollow T.V box and then you get...

Real Life (The Movie)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.