- Firewall
    - Application Control
    - Amazing Removal
CONS
- Very heavy
- Installs Toolbar
- 24 hour signature update
BOTTOM LINE
This is a very good product, the application control is very good and a big plus if you have a little knowledge. The detection and removal is amazing, the scan is slow.

24 hour signature update is not that bad if you know, use the application control so it is not a big downside.

The toolbar install is unethical behavior, it will install in background and this is unacceptable for me. The memory usage is between 120 and 200 Mb, I don't like this it slows down the scan and it is taking town the PC.

Beside all the amazing things and how much I love this product I will give 1 star and don't recommend, the memory usage and the toolbar is a big downside for me.

If you don't have the toolbar installed you will not get product updates.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
ZoneAlarm = Kaspersky engine yes but no KSN :/

KSN = That is only in pro version (all Zone Alarm paid products). They call it cloud protection, I don't know why ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzai

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't understand how you managed to rate the product 1 star, despite your claims to have excellent protection and removal. Surely the toolbar can be uninstalled, and the product can be manually updated. You'll still receive definition updates?

In the CNET's Review they mention the toolbar is installed to keep the product free of charge, but also state to use just use another browser. PC Mag's review focuses on the positive aspects about the toolbar, did you play around with the toolbar to see what it offers?

PC Mag's review end with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall with another Free AV would be better.

Have you got screenshots of the ZA installation?

PC Mag Review Quote:
A browser toolbar offers secure search, Do Not Track, and a Facebook privacy check, among other things. It also powers ZoneAlarm's phishing protection, which has improved markedly since the previous version.

CNET (Editor's Review) Quote:
.. you must opt for an IE toolbar and search provider (which keeps ZoneAlarm free of charge), though they uninstall with a click; or (like us) you could simply use a different browser.
upload_2014-8-20_18-55-52.png

Reactions: Petrovic and Manzai

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Because of the memory issue. You will also get slow scans and the CPU will go 10 % and the PC is slowed. Yes you can remove the toolbar but it will install even if you uncheck it. Toolbars don't offer protection they are a privacy risk and they use a lot of memory and slows the surf.

Well this is my own point of view (I have my own way of testing the software), everybody can say how they see a product, right ? This is my point of view, I don't care how other reviews are, I am too old for this type of review (each review different result).

CNET lies, you have in Firefox and IE (Chrome don't know, I don't use it), it is not that easy to uninstall please do your research before posting. Like I said in "A lie called protection (fake sense of security). " do you own research or be a sheep like others.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sure thing, I'll be installing ZoneAlarm as soon as I have my VM up and running. PS: It's False sense of Security, not Fake. ;)

Proof by Google:
upload_2014-8-20_19-48-36.png

Research before creating a topic title may be required.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I typed fast. In the article is false. My test was on Windows 7 with 2 GB (Virtual Box).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.