Win7 Defender is a computer virus,which pretends to be a legitimate antivirus program and claims that malware has been detected on your computer,however if you try to remove these infections,it will state that you need to buy this product before being able to do so.
There are a number of ways in which Win7 Defender got on your computer, but the most common is through fake pop-up windows and fake alerts that indicate that your computer is infected. These alerts attempt to scare the user into downloading the software to remove the fake virus or resolve the fake issue,however in reality you have downloaded and installed this rogue antivirus.
Other common ways that Win7 Defender gets on your computer include:
- Fake browser plugins and infected browser toolbars
- Infected email attachments.
- Drive-by-downloads which will exploit a vulnerability in Java or Adobe software.
Once installed on your computer Win7 Defender will start a bogus security scan which will report that trojans,rootkits and other malware were found on your computer,however if you try to remove these infections,it will state that you need to buy this product before being able to do so.
As you have probably realized by now,Win7 Defender is a scam, and its alerts are only meant to scare you into buying this malicious product.
As part of its self-defense mechanism,Win7 Defender has disabled the Windows system utilities, including the Windows Task Manager and Registry Editor,and will block you from running certain programs that could lead to its removal.
Win7 Defender has modified your Windows files associations and now,whenever you are trying to any programs that have a .exe extension ,it will display a bogus notification in which will report that the file is infected,in an attempt to scare you.
Win7 Defender Firewall Alert
iexplore.exe is infected with Trojan-Clicker.Js.Agent.op. Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords.
Under no circumstance should you buy this rogue security software as this could lead to identity theft,and if you have, you should contact your bank and dispute the charge stating that the program is a scam and a computer virus.
Win7 Defender – Virus Removal Guide
STEP 1: Remove Win 7 Defender malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Chameleon technologies will allow us to install and run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan without being blocked by Win 7 Defender.
This infection will not allow you to open your web browser, so you’ll need to right click on the Internet Explorer’s icon or any other browser’s icon, and select Run As (Windows XP) or Run as Administrator (Windows Vista, 7 and 8).This should allow you to open your web browser, so that you’ll be able to download Malwarebytes from the below link.
If you still can’t open your web browser, you’ll need to download this registry fix on a clean computer and then transfer the program to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive.
- Download Malwarebytes Chameleon from the below link, and extract it to a folder in a convenient location.
MALWAREBYTES CHAMELEON DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download Malwarebytes Chameleon)
- Make certain that your infected computer is connected to the internet and then open the Malwarebytes Chameleon folder, and double-click on the svchost.exe file.
IF Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will not start, double-click on the other renamed files until you find one will work, which will be indicated by a black DOS/command prompt window.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to press a key to continue and Chameleon will proceed to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for you.
- Once it has done this, it will update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and you’ll need to click OK when it says that the database was updated successfully.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now attempt to kill all the malicious process associated with Win 7 Defender.Please keep in mind that this process can take up to 10 minutes, so please be patient.
- Next, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically open and perform a Quick scan for Win 7 Defender malicious files as shown below.
- Upon completion of the scan, click on Show Result
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected.
Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked),then click on the Remove Selected button.
- After your computer restarts, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 2: Remove Win 7 Defender rootkit with HitmanPro
In some cases,Win 7 Defender will also install a rootkit on victims computer.To remove this rootkit we will use HitmanPro.
- Download HitmanPro from the below link,then double click on it to start this program.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
IF you are experiencing problems while trying to start HitmanPro, you can use the Force Breach mode.To start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode, hold down the left CTRL-key when you start HitmanPro and all non-essential processes are terminated, including the malware process. (How to start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode – Video)
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for Win 7 Defender malicious files as seen in the image below.
- Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove this malicious files.
- Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
STEP 3: Double check for any left over infections with Emsisoft Emergency Kit
- You can download Emsisoft Emergency Kit from the below link,then extract it to a folder in a convenient location.
EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT DOWNLOAD LINK ((This link will open a new web page from where you can download Emsisoft Emergency Kit)
- Open the Emsisoft Emergency Kit folder and double click EmergencyKitScanner.bat, then allow this program to update itself.
- After the Emsisoft Emergency Kit has update has completed,click on the Menu tab,then select Scan PC.
- Select Smart scan and click on the SCAN button to search for Win 7 Defender malicious files.
- When the scan will be completed,you will be presented with a screen reporting which malicious files has Emsisoft detected on your computer, and you’ll need to click on Quarantine selected objects to remove them.