µBlock for Chromium : New Experimental Features v6.6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yigido

Thread author
µBlock is not an "ad blocker", it's a blocker in the broad sense, which happens to block ads through its support of Adblock Plus filter syntax. µBlock extends the syntax.

EasyList, Peter Lowe's Adservers , EasyPrivacy and Fanboy's Social Block List are enabled by default when you install µBlock. Many more lists are readily available to protect yourself from trackers, analytics, data mining, and more ads. Hosts files are supported.

Ads are just the visible portions of privacy-invading apparatus entering your browser when you visit most sites nowadays.

My main goal with µBlock is to help users neutralize as much as can be privacy-invading apparatus (of which ads, "unintrusive" or not, are just the visible portion) for users who do not want to deal with more technical means like HTTP Switchboard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
µBlock v6.6.0

Experimental features

Since I started to work on HTTP Switchboard, then µBlock, this has been my stern observation: tracking/data mining and all such activities are just plain out of control. This can't be argued. Seelatest privacy exposure benchmark to get an idea.

Most people are aware of the visible part of this iceberg, the ads. In my opinion, users should care even more about the less visible part, the tracking/data mining to which they are subjected.

I made it my current hobby to try to give users the tools to escape that which they did not consent and explicitly opt-in in a fully informed manner.

So in that spirit, when I think of a feature which may be beneficial in foiling tracking/data mining, I will first introduce it as an experimental feature. "Experimental features" are disabled by default, and can be enabled in the Settings tab in the dashboard.

New:
Changes:
  • "Fanboy's Social Block List" will now be selected by default when µBlock is installed by default (no change for existing users, but you are encouraged to selected it).
In the spirit of this release, I strongly encourage users to enable "Anti-ThirdpartySocial‎" (formerly named "Fanboy’s Anti-Facebook"): 3rd-party connections to facebook.com are not foiled by"Fanboy's Social Block List", and I observed in the latest benchmark that connections facebook.com have grown significantly (see for yourself, spreadsheets available here.)

Chromium : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
Opera : https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/ublock/
Manual download : https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/download/0.6.6.0/ublock_0.6.6.0.zip

Enjoy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.