Not open for further replies.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Privacy has always been a big part of Apple’s marketing pitch, and the company is bringing that point home once again in its latest iPhone ad, which boldly declares “Privacy. That’s iPhone,” via MacRumors.

“If privacy matters in your life, it should matter to the phone your life is on,” says the commercial, as it flips through a wide range of privacy-related scenarios, including “keep out” signs, people avoiding eavesdroppers at diners, window locks, curtains, and padlocks.

It’s a similar approach to the massive billboard that Apple bought at CES 2019 earlier this year, declaring “What happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone,” in a veiled shot at competitors like Google that were presenting just across the street.

Of course, there’s also the timing of Apple’s new privacy-focused ad push to consider — just a few weeks after the news broke of a huge FaceTime bug that would allow anyone to listen in on calls made through Apple’s platform. The incident has since been patched, but it was undeniably a black eye for the company, one that Apple seems eager to put behind it with this new campaign that looks to reinforce that privacy is still a big priority.

Last edited by a moderator:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I never liked Apple because of the pretentious "uh oh we're just so much better" and their absurd prices. But recently Google forced me to ditch their last thing I couldn't easily ditch. Android. I've ditched all the other Google services ages ago and replaced them with private solutions, but Android was that last thing where you actually don't have many options.

You can either go with dumb phone, stay with Android and use custom ROM without Gapps which means you have a very advanced dumb phone plus many banking apps just flat out refuse to work or you go with iOS. And I must say iPhone actually isn't "that" expensive.
Sure, Xs Max is still stupid expensive at like 1400€, but XR at touch over 800€ is very reasonable when you realize Apple is really going hard with the privacy thing and the fact you'll basically get software updates for as long as you'll have the phone. Good luck with that on almost any Android. Even for Android One phones, they only guarantee 2 years of updates which is just pathetic when you piss away same amount of money for a phone. And sure, iOS has its share of dumb things and limitations, but I got used to it in just 1 week without ever using it before and being on Android since freaking Froyo I think.

I called it quite some time ago that Apple can and will push privacy hard, because that's the only thing Google will never have and that'll be a huge selling point for very long with Apple. It's also nice to see they are enforcing privacy with the apps too on their platform, not just their OS. Something where Google is also lacking badly.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Apple is worse than Google and MSFT, they hide behind people and say Privacy matters and all those stuffs but iphone and every tech is/has full telemetry logs on-device and syncs with their servers for analytics just like Google. I have seen 800-1GB of telemetry garbage being stored on ageing iphone waiting for wifi for sending the logs.
Apple is garbage these days and chinese companies have taken over. My mom is an iphone user so I know how cumbersome its to maintain an iPhone. For now I blocked updates and other garbage because their updates runined cellular strength, download/upload speed on LTE.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Seems alot of ppl understating whats telemetry means, ofc noone can prove 100 % its only for improve their products, but many companys do that for real. problem come when they do " secret usage " of all that telemetry.

Reactions: oldschool

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Apple is worse than Google and MSFT, they hide behind people and say Privacy matters and all those stuffs but iphone and every tech is/has full telemetry logs on-device and syncs with their servers for analytics just like Google. I have seen 800-1GB of telemetry garbage being stored on ageing iphone waiting for wifi for sending the logs.
Apple is garbage these days and chinese companies have taken over. My mom is an iphone user so I know how cumbersome its to maintain an iPhone. For now I blocked updates and other garbage because their updates runined cellular strength, download/upload speed on LTE.
Do you know how much of that is actually sensitive data?

I feel there's a difference between 100 GB of useless(for the consumer) data of how many times you opened an app versus 1MB of sensitive data.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I never liked Apple because of the pretentious "uh oh we're just so much better" and their absurd prices. But recently Google forced me to ditch their last thing I couldn't easily ditch. Android. I've ditched all the other Google services ages ago and replaced them with private solutions, but Android was that last thing where you actually don't have many options.

You can either go with dumb phone, stay with Android and use custom ROM without Gapps which means you have a very advanced dumb phone plus many banking apps just flat out refuse to work or you go with iOS. And I must say iPhone actually isn't "that" expensive.
Sure, Xs Max is still stupid expensive at like 1400€, but XR at touch over 800€ is very reasonable when you realize Apple is really going hard with the privacy thing and the fact you'll basically get software updates for as long as you'll have the phone. Good luck with that on almost any Android. Even for Android One phones, they only guarantee 2 years of updates which is just pathetic when you piss away same amount of money for a phone. And sure, iOS has its share of dumb things and limitations, but I got used to it in just 1 week without ever using it before and being on Android since freaking Froyo I think.

I called it quite some time ago that Apple can and will push privacy hard, because that's the only thing Google will never have and that'll be a huge selling point for very long with Apple. It's also nice to see they are enforcing privacy with the apps too on their platform, not just their OS. Something where Google is also lacking badly.

I'm with you on all you say. I have an Android because my wife bought it for me. But when the updates stop, I'll likely buy a used Apple. They're reasonably priced, etc. and older (than the latest $$$) models are quite capable, certainly for my uses.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I feel that apple went into the security of their devices and products very quickly, such as full device encryption and the secure chip to store payment information separate from the rest of the device. On top of that their face and touch ID are stellar compared to the competition of android phones, often coming up on top for being the most accurate.

I feel that due to the nature of Apple products they don't really need much tracking as compared to google or microsoft. Where google and microsoft has a wide array of products such as google drive / one drive that are catered as free to the general public, Apple services are only really for those who already have Apple products, and as such they've already spent money on Apple as compared to the free services provided by google and microsoft.

The only telemetry data they need from their users are probably how often their phones are being used, what is it being used for and how can they improve it.

Reactions: SumTingWong

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Do you know how much of that is actually sensitive data?

I feel there's a difference between 100 GB of useless(for the consumer) data of how many times you opened an app versus 1MB of sensitive data.
Telemetry data isn't useless but it can reveal habits of each and every users which is dangerous.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Telemetry data isn't useless but it can reveal habits of each and every users which is dangerous.

There is however a difference when you look at a company like Apple whose sole purpose of it is to make better products so you buy more of them, because buying their products is their direct income. Google on the other hand, they gather data t literally sell it and make money of it. You're not buying anything from them and their only incentive to have more users is through hoarding more data from more users to sell more of it.

Also ppl need to drop this ignorant attitude that if it's telemetry, then it's hoarding user data. Of course telemetry can gather user data as well, it's impossible to make system that entirely excludes all personal points. But there is a big difference from just straight up data hoarding like Google is doing and telemetry like Apple is doing.

• HaHa
Reactions: Vasudev
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.