Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Research firm Gartner published a report this week highlighting the movements inside the PC industry during the fourth quarter of 2013. The firm said it noticed the worst decline in shipments in PC market history for the whole of 2013, particularly as tablets continue to eat into PC shipments. Still, Gartner expects that — at least in the U.S. — we’ve hit the bottom.

Total sales around the globe came in at 82.6 million units for the quarter, down 6.9 percent from the same quarter in 2012. That marked the seventh consecutive quarter that shipments declined, Gartner said. In the U.S., shipments came in at 15.8 million units, 7.5 percent down from the same quarter in 2012. Meanwhile, for the whole year, PC shipments were down 10 percent from 2012 at 315.9 million units, the worst year in PC shipment history since 2009, where levels were about the same, Gartner said.

“Although PC shipments continued to decline in the worldwide market in the fourth quarter, we increasingly believe markets, such as the U.S., have bottomed out as the adjustment to the installed base slows,” said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner. “Strong growth in tablets continued to negatively impact PC growth in emerging markets.” Kitagawa said that the situation is different in emerging markets, where most consumers have their first foray into the internet on a smartphone, and a first computing experience on a tablet.

HP is still the top seller of PCs in the U.S. with a 26.5 percent market share, followed by Dell, Apple, Lenovo and Toshiba. Globally, Lenovo is the top seller with a 16.9 percent market share, followed by HP, Dell, Acer and Asus.

I still prefer a laptop to a tablet PC. A laptop, when compared to a tablet still has the best value for money. It can do a lot of tasks a tablet in the same price range can't do.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am with you on that!! I much prefer a Laptop to a tablet.

Stubbornest

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2014
+1 for laptops/notebooks, especially the Thin & Light variations.
And even a laptop keyboard with the worst keys, is better than a touch keyboard (or hammer and chisle :p ).

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I guess I'm old fashion, I like my desktop. I also have a laptop that I use sometimes when I'm away from home and I also have a Samsung Galaxy tablet that I hardly ever use, I just don't like Android as much compared to Windows.

Tablets and Smart Phones are cheap compared to laptops and desktops and gives users basic web functions. Probably the only reason that have got so popular.

Thanks. :D

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I prefer desktops over anything. Laptops really frustrate me. I recently purchased an iPad Air, and although it's a great device in every aspect, I'm putting it on ebay. I hardly use it, it just sits there doing nothing. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I will always prefer desktops,
Can handle more power, upgrades are a lot easier to do, has more USB ports (usually), can use bigger screen resolutions and Multi-Screen efficiently, etc.

Reactions: ZeroDay
D

Deleted member 178

I move between 2 countries so any desktop is a "No No", i am happy with my 2 laptops:

one is a desktop replacement, the other an ultra portable with touchscreen (then Win8 is really appropriate); my smartphone is mostly used to interact with my friends.

Reactions: ZeroDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.