1 in 5 Americans are hit by ransomware

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
The Harris Poll survey conducted recently says that 1 among 5 Americans were hit by a ransomware attack in this year. And researchers say that the conclusion was driven after gathering responses from over 2000 American respondents.
Cybersecurity study conducted by the New York-based analytics company also suggests that government and businesses should indulge more in building up their defensive line against cyber attacks as such cyber incidents have the potential to encourage or discourage registered election voters from participating in the electoral event.
Although the government is trying its best in making Cybersecurity as a priority, lack of funds and awareness is making the fed go weak in thwarting such attacks says the poll survey.

Last edited:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans? Once again author probally means U.S.A.Statistics seem to be exaggerated but no doubt ignorance that it could never happen to me is being delusional, I would say.To be forewarned is to be forearmed.Thanks Correlate for the article.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
This does seem like fabrication, but it goes back to something about polling too. If the questions are somehow misleading, people who are saying that they know someone who experienced an attack can easily become quoted to be saying that they experienced an attack themselves. I don't see how it could be possible that 20% actually experienced an attack on their own personal machine. I agree that it sounds far too high. Maybe I am wrong, and, if so, wow is the American public under educated on how to protect themselves!

Sometimes it seems pollers are actually attempting to deceive themselves, so that they can push an agenda more convincingly. I have a college degree in marketing, and I have seen over and over that typical business related market research can be as deceptive, even to the untrained researchers conducting a poll, as the untruth that is so often pushed in politics. Well, to be fair, what do we see in politics but illicit perversion of business marketing?

In the end, we could be here getting from poor polling and interpretation a sensational article that sounds like some sort of scare tactic. Yet, in politics, a good candidate with principles will defeat lies/deceptions/untruths of an opponent. It's the same thing in business with marketing. Solid leadership and hearing and following the truth wins there too. In that light, we still do need leadership and leaders so we can do an adequate job of educating the public about the importance of keeping their devices clean and malware free...malware is extremely harmful. Thanks to MalwareTips, we have a solid source of sincere information and experience who can help educate! :love: :emoji_v:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If I was as clueless as the average person answering a poll, and I was asked whether I experienced a ransomware attack in the past year, I would say, "For sure, I have been attacked by ransomware many times! I get those spam messages in my inbox almost every week!"

Then I would ask a question that the pollster doesn't write down: "Umm, what exactly is ransomware? Is it the same as spam, or what?"

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Even the small amount of news reported here on MT about ransomware attacks against US authorities and automatic their citizens, speaks more then well enough of it's own. It sadly has increased and it's a high risk it will continue, especially when some cities decide to pay the ransom.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Even the small amount of news reported here on MT about ransomware attacks against US authorities and automatic their citizens, speaks more then well enough of it's own. It sadly has increased and it's a high risk it will continue, especially when some cities decide to pay the ransom.
Ransomware, according to all other reports I have read, has turned to attacking businesses and organisations. There are very few malware campaigns reported against home users. However, a home user could infect himself with ransomware if he downloads cracks and other pirated material.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Ransomware, according to all other reports I have read, has turned to attacking businesses and organisations. There are very few malware campaigns reported against home users. However, a home user could infect himself with ransomware if he downloads cracks and other pirated material.
Businesses and organisations of course have customers/citizens that are home users, that also is directly effected and loose both time, energy and money. Companies, banks etc normally always make their customers pay in one way or another sooner or later. Happens even in my country and dosen't matter if it's their ( the companies/banks etc ) fault being incompetent.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.