12-Engine Free Quartet: 10-Engine Triple Chinese Antivirus Combo with COMODO IS

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I certainly would not recommend using comodo internet security at this time as its very unstable and buggy.
I had to uninstall it as the cpu usage of the comodo av was totally unacceptable to me and my laptop fan was going nuts with it installed.
It has become a bloated mess.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I thank you for posting this, but I have CIS installed on more than one PC that I manage and — although I have my reservations with it — it has been solid for as long as it's been installed. If these problems you related become widespread then I'll agree CIS is unstable and buggy, but for now I see no justifiable reason for that.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This is easily solved by dumping CIS and just installing Comodo Firewall (obviously no AV module) if you are running another concurrent AV. The AV Cloud will just kick in when an unknown is run, so you get the benefit of Cloud detection without any local system impact.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"CIS and just installing Comodo Firewall (obviously no AV module)"
I read a thread on Comodo fourm how to install pure comodo firewall but yet i don't have a link :( ,in which author shows after choosing only firewall you have to remove Cav like type file before rebooting pc after installation of comodo firewall ,so it is right comodo still install cav after unselecting AV module ?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
On the Comodo website you can choose to download CIS, Comodo Firewall, or just Comodo AV.

So what I was suggesting is the installation of Comodo Firewall (no AV included), found here:

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

or here:

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Firewall/3000-10435_4-75181464.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

Remember to click the Custom installation button (like on CIS) to opt out of the browser and Geek Buddy (if you so desire). They have also added the ability to block 3rd party adds with PrivDog:

http://privdog.com/

I'm totally unfamiliar with this product so I can't speak to its value- but you can opt out during the install routine.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Will your set-up of anti-viruses be compatible with Windows 8.1? Windows 8.1 will be here soon?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Um......what can I say that hasn't already been said over and over again?
Even I would not install all those av's... virtualization, sandboxes and Anti-Executable's are a heck of alot more bulletproof then any of those av's.
For example...Defensewall, EXE Radar Pro, Private Firewall (with HIPS) and Shadow Defender would dominate your 12 engines and dare I say Umbra's combo and alot lighter too! IMHO ofcourse :)

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Not really... this combo is backed or "dominated" or in fact actually protected by Comodo, the AVs are there for extra detection. I thought this had been made clear by now.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not to bash, but if you're saying Comodo requires additional AV scanners, why do others disagree with I say CAV is mediocre?
Btw, I understand your config is for high detection - although you previously disagreed with me before.

Overkill, I suppose some find that false sense of security by AV's, comforting. :p (Not directed at anyone).

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Comodo's AV is not mediocre. I never said it "requires" additional scanners. Nor did I ever say enhancing detection is to give a "sense of security". It's funny how many things I never said that people take time to come here to refute...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The last part wasn't directed at anyone, it was merely a general reply. And I never said "Jaspion said...". Jeez.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Earth said:
The last part wasn't directed at anyone, it was merely a general reply. And I never said "Jaspion said...". Jeez.
Of course.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Will your set-up of anti-viruses be compatible with Windows 8.1? Windows 8.1 will be here soon?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Support with 360 Internet Security.

Thanks for your query. I can’t give you an exact date but I will confirm that we’ll be releasing support for Windows 8.1 very soon ----- there shouldn’t be any need for you to uninstall 360 Internet Security.

Keep in touch if you have more questions.

- Kevin

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
spywar said:
About KingSoft kcloud engine :

I think it uses Kaspersky's engine..

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/9b5591edbb72e5c762b1092509773f121b43b138eecd376790a0a9cc7d1e590b/analysis/1380019034/

Kaspersky Trojan.Win32.Llac.dleq
Kingsoft Win32.Troj.Llac.dl.(kcloud)

It's not Kaspersky's engine, just their automated systems (name stealing).

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> Comodo Firewall would not work with Windows 8.1
> Try to uninstall Comodo Firewall and will not completely uninstall.
> Used Your Uninstall Pro! From the start!
> Kingsoft Antivirus did not have protection/disable, so I uninstall completely. In Windows 8.1

Thinking about using Private Firewall, because Private Firewall s keep up on any chances that happen.
And Comodo always has problems! For example, uninstalling their software that will not completely uninstall!
There will be cost with support.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Moose- In what way is Comodo Firewall not working for you? I ask because the computer I am on now is W8.1 with Comodo Firewall doing quite nicely.

Update- I just did a quick test- I upgraded 2 machines with Comodo Firewall installed from Win8 to 8.1

1). On Machine 1- I just did the update without uninstalling CF and also had issues (in my case CF didn't load at all and couldn't be called up).

2). On Machine 2- I uninstalled CF prior to 8.1 update and reinstalled after. Everything worked properly.

A quick analysis was done, and although the Comodo files on the drive were identical, there was a big difference in the Registry! Seems 8.1 update will break/wipe a number of essential entries. This actually isn't surprising as I've already had to reinstall Symantec System Recovery due to this issue; 8.1 as well broke the legacy safe mode switch I put in place.

Guess this is why Symantec won't be releasing a compatible SEP12 version for another month.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.