19H1: The Complete Changelog (Windows 10 April 2019 Update)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft is now hard at work on the next feature update for Windows 10, codenamed 19H1 and scheduled for release this April 2019.
Read more: Windows 10 19H1: The complete changelog

I've highlighted a maximum of 3 changes. For full details/updated lists, visit the link above.

Windows Shell
  • A new light theme is available which turns the taskbar, Start menu, and other areas of the Windows Shell white.
  • The Start menu default layout has been simplified, now using a single column with a cleaner setup.
  • Game Bar has been updated with a new UI.
Search and Cortana
  • Search and Cortana are now separate.
Settings
  • Settings homepage has a new personalized banner at the top which provides quick access to Microsoft Rewards, OneDrive, Your Phone, and Updates.
  • Windows Update has been updated with a new layout that brings forward several functions including pause updates, intelligent active hours, and more.
  • You can now create new password-less Microsoft Accounts with just a phone number.
Apps
  • A new Office app is present and provides quick access to your recent documents and Office web apps.
Misc. changes
  • A microphone icon is now present in the system tray when your microphone is in use.
  • Windows Sandbox lets Pro and Enterprise users run a virtual instance of Windows 10 on top of your active install to test apps.
  • Windows 10 Home users will now have light mode enabled by default after a clean install. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise continues to use dark mode enabled by default.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Light theme is welcome but I am more interested in the implementation of Google's Retpoline implementation against Spectre v2, which should bring some performance benefits, don't know how much it will improve but anything positive is welcome.

Edit: On further reading the MS blog, it seems skylake and above family of processors won't be benefiting from Retpoline. In the article it says "Retpoline is not applicable to Skylake and later processors from Intel."
That's my luck :( But on the brighter side Kabylake did not have that much of a performance impact to begin with.

Last edited:

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Just hope the update doesn't get released with bugs like many previous updates. Don't know why Microsoft did not do well with windows 10 as far as updates are concerned.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have seem so many bugs on the release versions of the updates that I'm starting to consider switching my machines to insider builds because I don't see a greater risk for doing so.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No Windows built-in Sandbox for me because I am running home version :(

Fortunately, there are Sandboxie and Shadow Defender alternative.
Someone will probably figure out a registry hack to make it work.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

People that already use 3rd party sandbox apps, will probably stick on those over windows one anyways:unsure:

Wondering are they gonna release chromedge before or after this

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Windows Sandbox will probably be heavily targeted for Enterprise, with some limited options in Pro editions, still being dependent on the type of hardware. Most are better off with 3rd party options, which are easier to use and maintain.

Reactions: SumTingWong

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.