App Review 2 Minute Video. Comodo Firewall Settings Only, by Cruel Sister.

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
Simply the settings, nothing else.

could not figure out how to delete orig post.

I'm a 70's kid, no so much into diversity, but thought I'd give you guys 4 songs that span a diverse period of time. Thus the new video.

Last edited by a moderator:

secureguy109g

Level 1
Jun 21, 2017
Thanks for doing this. One thing that caused me confusion: at 2:15 I believe she recommends as "run isolated" in container, not block, so unknown/untrusted programs can run in the sandbox. Thank you again for taking the time to do this.

Simply the settings, nothing else.

Reactions: AtlBo

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi SecureGuy! I did not use more restrictive settings (like what you point out as well as using Untrusted mode) as these settings would tend to confuse newbies to Comodo. The issue here would be if a legitimate, although unsigned, application just does not run someone new may just ditch CF. With the less restrictive settings they may see what is actually occurring.

Hope that made sense...

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Hi SecureGuy! I did not use more restrictive settings (like what you point out as well as using Untrusted mode) as these settings would tend to confuse newbies to Comodo. The issue here would be if a legitimate, although unsigned, application just does not run someone new may just ditch CF. With the less restrictive settings they may see what is actually occurring.

Hope that made sense...

cruelsister, I am a newbie to this forum but not such a newbie to CFW. Having said that, I have tried several versions of it, and always wound up uninstalling due to complexity. I have reinstalled it using your suggested settings, and so far so good but I encountered two situations that I question the setting to Block in containment. First, when I went to use my VPN, and CFW blocked my VPN, for some reason when I unblocked the VPN in the CFW settings, I had to reinstall the VPN program again to get it to work. It seemed like CFW deleted the executable or some piece of that program. Just for the hell of it, I also reset the Container, and btw as an fyi, Comodo in the latest version of CFW now uses the word "Containment" instead of "Sandbox."

Secondly, this morning when I started my PC, CFW blocked my AV program from starting without any messages. I unblocked the AV in CFW settings, and restarted it, and everything is fine. I rechecked for CFW to play a sound, and unchecked "Do Not Show Popup Alerts." I want to make sure I know what the Firewall is doing.

My question to you is did I miss something in setting up CFW with your settings or is CFW acting normally as you intended?

I know working with CFW takes a learning curve but I want to make sure it is acting properly. Thanks for your support, and taking the time to make the video. It helps.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's very important that you need to retain the analysis component which will scan for reputation ratings cause that settings will totally block any programs that are not matched with the ruleset.

The Trusted Vendor List of Comodo is still insufficient and better to monitor closely with the alerts cause Comodo is designed for such comprehensive/complex alerts.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
You may notice i'm not a sis cs? Did you?

But, as you know cs doesn't like a peeps nor widgets, but you can as you did unchecked the box do not show alerts. So is easy to follow what happened. & nothing unusual that it's blocked/contained ur VPN and all the part of it. So just unblock and u wtg then. Same with your AV . Even is good to mention what AV, doesn't need VPN name.

Regards: CFW settings aka mixed cs & Umbra ...BC

Edit: If you got forget hips on and even paranoid...:p

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
It's very important that you need to retain the analysis component which will scan for reputation ratings cause that settings will totally block any programs that are not matched with the ruleset.

The Trusted Vendor List of Comodo is still insufficient and better to monitor closely with the alerts cause Comodo is designed for such comprehensive/complex alerts.

In using CS' settings for CFW, was the Analysis Component turned off? Should I turn it on, and where is it located in the program?

Thanks for replying.

secureguy109g

Level 1
Jun 21, 2017
First off, in Containment > Containment Settings, for "do not show privilege elevation alerts" don't use "block" but do use "run inside the container" instead. The video that shows "block" doesn't accurately sum up what CS has posted elsewhere, and will kill things without you knowing it when you try to run them, instead of attempting to run them in a container, which is kind of the whole point of "auto-containment." (the section is not called "auto-block or auto-deny")

Next, the analysis component I believe is being referred to is in Settings > File rating > File Rating Settings. You want the first checkbox to be checked, so that cloud lookup can happen to determine whether it's trustworthy or not, which is just a guideline and you'll likely have files that will come up in "unrecognized files" that you'll need to change to "trusted" if you really do trust them so they will actually run in the future without being in a container or worse yet if trusted, blocked.

I hope that helps!

In using CS' settings for CFW, was the Analysis Component turned off? Should I turn it on, and where is it located in the program?

Thanks for replying.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
First off, in Containment > Containment Settings, for "do not show privilege elevation alerts" don't use "block" but do use "run inside the container" instead. The video that shows "block" doesn't accurately sum up what CS has posted elsewhere, and will kill things without you knowing it when you try to run them, instead of attempting to run them in a container, which is kind of the whole point of "auto-containment." (the section is not called "auto-block or auto-deny")

Right now, I am little confused as you mentioned this to CS above, and she responded to you about less restrictive settings.

SG, I found another CS Video where she does check "Run Inside the Container" as you mentioned in the Containment settings. Is this what she truly meant? If so, her second video needs to edited because I had to search for this reference. Thanks

I understand what both of you are stating but which method is correct? Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: secureguy109g

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
For all those interested in CFW, and in CS great settings tutorial, I just discovered this info on the Comodo Forum about Blocked Applications Cleaning of old programs that appear there. Apparently, there is only an Unblock Button but they intend to include a Purge Button in the next update. I thought many of you using CFW with CS settings would find this informative. The link is here:

Blocked Applications Cleaning - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS

I posted a request in a reply to that posting if there is a temp solution? I do not think people would want to unblock just to clear the entry because it would then defeat the purpose, and might open the door to malware if the person is not familiar with the program that appears there.

That being said, maybe the alternative is to download and install an earlier version of CFW that has this feature but could work on Windows 10? I think this feature update should be a priority for CFW 10.

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I decided to uninstall ver 10 of CFW and downgrade to the last ver 8 of CFW.

I have also applied CS settings to this version. Honestly, it seems to provide more info as to what it is doing than ver 10. Moreover, it has the omitted Delete/Purge Button in the Sandbox quarantine that the developers omitted in ver 10.

Mind you, will I have better security, I think there is no such thing as 100% as each new version of a program is a work in progress but I am trying this as a test for myself as to whether this version will provide for my specific needs. Your mileage may vary.

So far ver 8 is working, no hiccups yet. Keep you posted.

Reactions: secureguy109g

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.