Advice Request Laptop Trends that must end (2020)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
1. Webcam wrongdoings
2. Keyboard kinks
3. Crappy connection options
4. Dismal displays
5. Chromebooks: Satan’s favorite laptop
Bottom line

I could go on and on about more trends that need to vanish into the abyss, including the oh-so-exciting, wide-ranging color options of blacks and grays among laptops — gee, so many colors choose from, where do I even start? (Yes, that was sarcasm.)

However, at the risk of writing a novel, I’m content with what I’ve listed so far as the most egregious trends that needn’t see daylight ever again. We can only hope that laptop manufacturers can heed my critiques — after all, it’s all coming from a good place. In the end, we want laptop makers to win so our readers can, too.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Whats wrong with the chromebooks? I would buy one for my mother if she not had the tablet yet, only thing my family spend time on is either banking or reading news + weather forecast, also it doesnt take half year to boot device up like cheap windows laptop does

If someone says chromebook is too limiting, i could personally say ios is too limiting for my habits than android on mobile devices:oops:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Whats wrong with the chromebooks? I would buy one for my mother if she not had the tablet yet, only thing my family spend time on is either banking or reading news + weather forecast, also it doesnt take half year to boot device up like cheap windows laptop does

If someone says chromebook is too limiting, i could personally say ios is too limiting for my habits than android on mobile devices:oops:
But the OS is built by the Devil incarnate himself - The leader of all things evil Google/Facebook :p:p:p

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Chromebooks are one of the safest Desktop PCs at all. If they're used in guest mode, it's set & forget.
On Windows side, only Windows S(-mode) get nearly that security.
Agree, though a friend of mine was sold a Chromebook by someone at a well know UK outlet for her son to do homework etc who didn't listen to her needs - The limiting factor is she couldn't run MS Office on it apart from online mode (the school supplied an Office seat) which really wasn't what she needed - By this time it was to late to return but they can be reset in a few seconds - I've recommended them to a few friends after asking explicitly what there requirements are - Of course many ask me about a purchase after it's been done!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't like the End-of-Life Date of Chromebooks. It's the same with Android phones.
Why stop providing security updates for a perfectly good working device?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chromebooks are one of the safest Desktop PCs at all. If they're used in guest mode, it's set & forget.
Not that great for Privacy or Security, because after all it's Google-owned. Also, not everyone can remain adware and malware-free on their devices whether it is Windows, macOS, Linux or Android.

The rogue extensions and fake apps from the Chrome Web Store and Play Store can siphon data from the users' Chromebook.
Link: Yes, Chromebooks can and do get infected - Malwarebytes Labs

Apple runs a much tighter ship than Google when it comes to vetting apps, occasionally they are too strict.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Google build very secure devices (Chromebooks, Pixel phones). They're include anti exploit protection, verified boot, rollback protection ...

Chromebook quest mode.. but I agree that it shouldn't be needed. And also that the privacy isn't so nice with Google stuff.
iOS devices can get malware too .
I used a modified pangu jailbreak from the app store a few years back .
And seen so many apps using unofficial APIS not getting removed at all !
So both aren't secure.

But you can harden a chrome book by policies to be a very secure compared to windows Especially for limited "basic" usage.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Jailbreak is the same security disaster like Root on Android. Both are destroy many security features and shouldn't be used in any case.

Windows can be harden too but on Chromebooks the Default Security is better like on Windows Secured Core PC's.
I know it was just an example that malware can get into app store as well!
As apple doesn't do good quality checks.
And I don't recommend anyone to jailbreak as it is basically like turning off most critical defenses.
I would only recommend doing it for performance improvements associated with disabling services /modules /animations inside iOS .

Reactions: Cortex

Cheeseman

Level 1
Jun 10, 2020
Stop making laptops as thin as a paper. A performace-oriented laptop needs to be as "thin" as a tank due to cooling. I'd also say that using mobile high-end cpus and gpus are nearly supidity (the only reason the're good is their thermal abilities), since a current mobile cpu/gpu nearly has all the same abilities as a desktop one. (and yes putting a threadripper 3990x in a laptop is stupidity taken to a new level)

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Stop making laptops as thin as a paper. A performace-oriented laptop needs to be as "thin" as a tank due to cooling. I'd also say that using mobile high-end cpus and gpus are nearly supidity (the only reason the're good is their thermal abilities), since a current mobile cpu/gpu nearly has all the same abilities as a desktop one. (and yes putting a threadripper 3990x in a laptop is stupidity taken to a new level)
3990x in a laptop like the xmg apex is possible with serve under clock / undervolt but it's barley a laptop with it's size anyway😜

But I really the thin and light idea but requires a more power efficiency then amd and
Intel provides with current architecture / manufacturering node.
Apple move to ARM is such a wonderful improvement in performance per watt

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.