Question 2023: What bloatware have you stopped using?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
On desktop. All cleaners except Privazer and Wisecleaner. AV/AM/FW, because H_C and MD is good enough when you add OSArmor or Appguard or VS. Also Windows Spying/Telemetry tools, only use a few telemetry firewall blocklists, gave up on OOShutup. And file erases, just Privazer now with 3 pass delete I used to use BCwipe but I don't need it anymore. And last on desktop PDF reader, use to use SumatraPDF but now I just browse PDFs in browser. When I find a good E-book, I reinstall Sumatra but not often.

Mobile I still use Vpn, NextDns and AV. And on iOS I use Vpn + NextDns. + E2EE apps on both devices. I don't really browse on Mobile/Tablet so besides Chrome/Safari I don't use other browsers.

Last edited:

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
  • Windows System Restore: the worst feature ever, it has never worked for me. I use it from Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10 and it failed all the times.
  • 3rd party cleaners/uninstallers: it doesn't bring any trouble to me but my computer doesn't get faster so it a waste of time.
  • Antivirus: I don't need them, built-in or 3rd party doesn't matter.
  • Microsoft Edge: I don't think I need to explain about this, but I'll keep an eye on canary version.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Cleaner i use no more is privazer
Using default windows browser edge
Using default windows antivirus microsoft defender

I think i dont use any bloatware, well someone might say that edge is bloatware but i think the opposite😅

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
An old solution for older Windows, for older generation of users. Microsoft launched Windows 10/11 with System Restored disabled by default.
Thanks for explanation, I was wondering why it was off sometimes until, Kerish doctor has recommendation to enabling System restore,( I always choose yes) and it works on windows 11

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I use HiBit for some file cleaning-very handy and rapid. Otherwise, I use Windows' built-in command-lines or manual.

I avoid any ASUS software-- Armoury Crate, Tweak, etc. Phew, get that spyware AWAY away away... Edge browser doesn't see this desktop either. I tolerate Windows Defender because in the distant past, I would disable it and the next thing I know, the OS is gently sliding south. But I know from past experience, I don't need it, or any antivirus.

Tried System Restore once long ago and it failed me. So never again. I'll use my USBs with an image or ISO--much more reliable.

:cool::whistle: :coffee:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I stopped using registry cleaners years ago, as you never actually need to clean the registry. It is exceptionally rare for cleaning the registry to fix issue you may be having and even rarer for it to increase performance. I only cleaned around ten thousand so called registry errors from my PC and afterwards I noticed no difference in performance. I have Kerish Doctor and AVG TuneUp installed and they both automatically clean the registry in the background. But I see no need to disable this, as neither of these products will delete any needed registry keys, so they won't cause any problems, even if there's not much point cleaning the registry.

I always enable System Restore, as on rare occasions I find it quite useful (when it actually works). I also use a third party antivirus which is lighter than Microsoft Defender.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I stopped using registry cleaners years ago, as you never actually need to clean the registry. It is exceptionally rare for cleaning the registry to fix issue you may be having and even rarer for it to increase performance.
Highly unlikely indeed, the registry is few files located in C:/Windows/System32/Config
It is always kept in memory so cleaning (and compressing which was also a thing) is unlikely to improve performance. The only benefit is cleaning the registry is autorun items might get unregistered and this may solve an error message on start.

I always enable System Restore, as on rare occasions I find it quite useful (when it actually works). I also use a third party antivirus which is lighter than Microsoft Defender.
Same here when using Windows.

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.