Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
In the ever-improving world of laptops, knowing what to buy can be a complex process.

Everyone wants the best performance, but what about price? How big a screen can you get before you sacrifice portability? How many ports do you need, and what size hard drive will do the job?

1. [*]Choose your form factor

categories-updated.jpg

(Credit: CBS Interactive)

We break notebooks down into five categories by weight, with some overlap: netbooks (usually less than 1kg), ultraportables (1.5kg-2kg), thin and lights (1kg-2kg), mainstream models (2kg-4kg) and desktop replacements (generally 4kg or heavier).

New netbooks are rare things, but you can still get one if you really try. They were effectively killed off by considerably more powerful mainstream laptops entering the AU$700 price point, and the MacBook Air 11 and ultrabooks bringing portability at a good price.

These days, you can pick one up for under AU$300, but we'd advise you to steer clear; there are simply better options and experiences available now.

While there are still a few ultraportables around, like Sony's Vaio Z series and Alienware's M11x R3, they have effectively been killed off by thin-and-light laptops, or what Intel calls ultrabooks. Occupying the 11- to 13-inch space, thin-and-light laptops can now genuinely claim extra portability with minimal performance sacrifice. Going for between AU$999 and AU$2299 depending on build quality, storage capacity, aesthetics and branding, thin and lights are the natural evolution of the category defined by Apple's MacBook Air. Don't expect optical drives here, but battery life in this category is generally excellent.

Mainstream laptops are like budget desktops; they're good for general tasks, but they won't win any contests for their performance. They're significantly thicker than the newest thin-and-light laptops to hit the shelves, but typically come with more ports and generally have more powerful processors and dedicated graphics cards, usually at the detriment to battery life.

This category is set for a shake-up in 2012, with many analysts expecting things to get thinner — whether this is at the sacrifice of ports remains to be seen.

If you want desktop power, you need a desktop replacement. With screen sizes of 16- to 18-inches, weight as heavy as 6 kilograms and average battery life of less than three hours, these behemoths are not for people on the go. They can accommodate a wide range of performance parts, however, and are just right for power users of all kinds.

Read more.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
20. 32- or 64-bit?
Most vendors should be selling laptops today with Windows 7 64-bit, with only business laptops being the exception for compatibility reasons. If the choice is presented to you, you'll want a 64-bit version of Windows, as the 32-bit version can't address 4GB RAM or greater.

I would agree on that statement, majority of the laptops were 64bit thus the benefits by the users have satisfied.

4GB or more is everything modern these days, lesser GB of RAM where it was only trend during older generations.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ZOU1 said:
What is better in your opinon--Dell or Asus?

Asus, only because whenever I go to ring up for Dell for a problem, I get patched through to a different country. Like for me in Australia, I like to hear Aussie accents not some Indian or Philippine o.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
McLovin said:
Asus, only because whenever I go to ring up for Dell for a problem, I get patched through to a different country. Like for me in Australia, I like to hear Aussie accents not some Indian or Philippine o.

Don't care for that. What we care about is whether they helped you or not.

To be honest, this is the first time I hear about desktop replacements! :D

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Don't care for that. What we care about is whether they helped you or not.

Not to go a bit off topic here but Telstra always does this as well. Plus it's really hard to understand them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.