26 of the 115 most popular VPNs are secretly keeping tabs on you

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
A recent investigation into 115 of the world’s most popular VPN services revealed that many are antithetical to their stated claims. To build trust, providers make promises not to track users through logs or other identifying information. But as a popular VPN comparison site found out, this isn’t always true.

The Best VPN recently peeked under the hood of over 100 of the biggest VPN services. All told, 26 of them collect three or more important log files that could contain personal and identifying information — things like your IP address, location, bandwidth data, and connection timestamps.

For VPN users, the goal is increased privacy, a sense of anonymity long-since lost to the likes of Google and Facebook. And it’s a booming market. By 2019, the worldwide demand for VPN services is expected to hit approximately $70 billion — up from $45 billion in 2014.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
So if the AV companies use those listed VPNs then your privacy data will be collected as well

Kaspersky and BitDefender use HotSpot Shield VPN

:rolleyes:
is BD's VPN burnt into the AV or is it a standalone app like Kaspersky's?

Reactions: ZeroDay

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
is BD's VPN burnt into the AV or is it a standalone app like Kaspersky's?
Aforementioned, BitDefender's VPN relies on HotSpotShield but works as an "add-on" in BitDefender software. You can't use it as a standalone application.

As for the article, i'm not surprised. We have to be careful when we decide on whom we deposit our trust and privacy. Since it's our most valuable item, lots of companies will do their best to take it away from us.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Aforementioned, BitDefender's VPN relies on HotSpotShield but works as an "add-on" in BitDefender software. You can't use it as a standalone application.

As for the article, i'm not surprised. We have to be careful when we decide on whom we deposit our trust and privacy. Since it's our most valuable item, lots of companies will do their best to take it away from us.
what i meant is if it's like Kaspersky's that you can uninstall by itself without uninstalling the AV?
if so, it's not that bad imo.

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
Wow, out of the 26 the only one I have used was VyperVPN for 3 month's back in 2014, back before I knew much about choosing a proper VPN. All the VPN's I have chosen after, I am glad to see they didn't make the list, including my current VPN provider. But, like another poster mentioned above, only 26?! I honestly was expecting something like 79 out of 115 or even worse 92 out of 115. But, it seem's I have underestimated the integrity of my fellow human kin

Reactions: ZeroDay

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
a pity that F-Secure FREEDOME has not been tested.
Freedome logs your IP address, bandwidth data, connection timestamps and device ID.

To protect the service against fraudulent use, we maintain temporary logs that contain the duration of the VPN sessions, the amount of data transferred, the device ID and the public IP address from where the VPN client connects to our service. Traffic anomalies that look like a potential abuse of our service (such as port scanning or DDOS attacks performed by our clients) are detected by our software and will be logged as well. The logs are stored for 90 days prior to deletion, and can be used to deal with any misuse of our service or attacks against us.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
There's no mention about the Steganos products.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The list looks hilariously familiar. Those are all the VPNs that offer $20-40 lifetime subscriptions and you think to yourself it's too good to be true. I wouldn't be surprised if they are honeypots.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.