3 Major Problems Facing The Internet Says Tim Berners-Lee, Inventor Of The Web.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The man credited with inventing the World Wide Web some 28 years ago, says it faces three major threats – and we should all be worried.
In an open letter to the world, Tim Berners Lee, has said we are all losing control of our personal data, that the spread of fake news is concerning, and the lack of regulation around political advertising needs to be fixed. Tim Berners-Lee states: “I imagined the web as an open platform that would allow everyone, everywhere to share information, access opportunities, and collaborate across geographic and cultural boundaries. In many ways, the web has lived up to this vision, though it has been a recurring battle to keep it open. But over the past 12 months, I’ve become increasingly worried about three new trends, which I believe we must tackle in order for the web to fulfil its true potential as a tool that serves all of humanity.”

this-is-for-everyone.jpg

Web intended as an open platform that would allow everyone, everywhere to share information.

Personal data we shouldn’t have to give up when we use the Web
Berners-Lee is first of all concerned about how much personal data people surrender when they sign up to terms and conditions on websites and install apps. “As our data is then held in proprietary silos, out of sight to us, we lose out on the benefits we could realise if we had direct control over this data, and chose when and with whom to share it. What’s more, we often do not have any way of feeding back to companies what data we’d rather not share – especially with third parties – the T&Cs are all or nothing.” The risks of this practice increase in countries that have authoritarian regimes, or where hidden communication between companies and governments can put citizens’ lives at risk.

Reactions: Venustus and XhenEd

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
"we often do not have any way of feeding back to companies what data we’d rather not share"

I would have to say of everything in this post this is what I find to be the most interesting part.
Some food for thought would be the data that you give up doesn't directly have to say something.

Often times what can be infered from the data we put out there can be more damaging and sensitive that we think.
While humans can't actively draw these connections the advancements in Big Data focus on draw correlations between seeming useless points of data.

A prime example would be that Trump paid MILLIONS to a data analytic company to place targeted ads to people who were likely to vote for him. This doens't have to be drawn from the fact that you posted "I LOVE TRUMP" but rather the small posts you make that add up to a large thing.

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down - Motherboard

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.