Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Because ransomware infects all the data of the accessible drives, partitions and folders we need to adjust our backup/recovery mechanisms

1. Use a NAS (Network Attached Storage)
The beauty of a NAS is that you can configure it to do continuous backups, using a maximum of 10 or 20 percent of your network bandwidth. Because ransomware attacks all connected drives, the advantage of a backup device attached to your network becomes a weakness. All of sudden your backup is also vulnarable to data loss due to encryption.

Most NAS-devices have a user friendly configuration option to manage access (profiles) based on user ID's and connected devices. I changed from contineous backup to nightly backups. For the backup I created an extra ADMIN account (backup) on each PC connected to my network. In the NAS I changed update access to read access for all 'regular' user accounts, e.g. the (admin) account you use to logon to our PC's for every day work. Only the extra (backup) admins got update access. When I want to run a backup, I change user account from regular user to backup admin and run a backup.

This is a lot more hassle than automated/scheduled/continuous backups, but keeps the NAS read only connected.

2. Use a seperated second Hard Disk for immediate backup
On my business desktop I added an old harddisk of a laptop (boosted wife's laptop performance by replacing the 320GB regular HD with a 1 TB hybrid harddisk) and made this a quick backup disk. I installed SYNCBACK free to backup updated files only and installed SECURE FOLDERS and gave that QUICK BACKUP disk READ-ONLY access and added SYNCBACK FREE as trusted program (to give it full access). My quick dicuments+mail backup disk is 'access right' seperated with secure folders.

Since our foto's are updated only after holidays (have a lower update interval), I only include my Documents folder and eMail folders in the quick backup. With this selection, the capacity of the old 320GB HD is more than enough to host all my documents and mail folders. I keep the holiday photo's on a small and handy 1TB USB disk. I keep this (encrypted) USB disk in the 'emergency' bag (together with insurance and other important papers) in case we have to run. On holidays I store that 'emergency' bag at a relative's place. Beauty of an USB-disk is that it can be 'disconnected' very easy.

3. Use a ransomeware "damage control" program
There are a few freeanti-ransomware programs which place marker files on your harddisk, like Ransomfree. When those marker files are hit by ransomware Ransomfree tries to stop the malware. Personally I like the behavioral based protection of AppCheck a lot better (Cruel Sister has demonstrated in her video's it does really well). On my desktop which I use for business I have AppCheck running as a gate keeper should ransomware escape my first line security.

Note: above mechanisms don't replace first line defense like your AV, HIPS, Sandbox etcetera, they are just an additional option to reduce impact and attack surface against ransomware attacks.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Best practices for a smart protection.
I would add: don't trust anyone, literally. The malicious links can be sent from your friends also on the social net whose accounts have been compromised in one way or another one.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Best practices for a smart protection.
I would add: don't trust anyone, literally. The malicious links can be sent from your friends also on the social net whose accounts have been compromised in one way or another one.
Is trusting noone practical? This seems to target unknowledgable users. It'd also be hard to apply for some journalists since they take documents from strangers.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
The title makes me laugh. I thought the thread is about anti-ransomware products doing unexpected things. :D

Anyway, I agree with all posts above.

This is my protection model. Prevent the infection. Monitor running programs. If infection happens, in this case ransomware infection, use the backup to restore. :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The title makes me laugh. I thought the thread is about anti-ransomware products doing unexpected things. :D
That's the secret
This is my protection model. Prevent the infection. Monitor running programs. If infection happens, in this case ransomware infection, use the backup to restore. :)
This is the classic what-to-do.
open them in a sandbox :D
A good solution. Now the only problem is to communicate to them.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
LOL...:D
Actually thought of the same thing but title actually made sense as the above post are "damage cotrol" in such case a ransomware manage to escape
first line defense like your AV, HIPS, Sandbox

@Windows_Security If i dont have an extra HDD how do I protect the partition?! Athough most files in my other partition are backups..

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

Anyway, I agree with all posts above.

You are right, title should be protect against ransomware :)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
LOL...:D
Actually thought of the same thing but title actually made sense as the above post are "damage cotrol" in such case a ransomware manage to escape

@Windows_Security If i dont have an extra HDD how do I protect the partition?! Athough most files in my other partition are backups..
Install Secure Folders, add the partition drive with root (e.g. E:\) to the protected folders as read only and add your backup program as trusted

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Keywords: Virtualization, Backup, Sandbox, or Isolation

Unfortunately many are still vulnerable which lead to pay the ransom or reformat the whole system despite of data loss.

Organization and other I.T firm should stand firm about not to pay ransom fee to avoid continuous development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.