30 years of Windows package design

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
As the world's most used operating system - and being from Microsoft - Windows has had some rather dull boxes designed for it to sit within. But it's also had some great packaging designed for it too, so we've gathered together images of the box art from each version of Windows, from 1985's Windows 1.0 to last month's Windows 10. Enjoy...

30 years of Windows package design

Reactions: xxtoss23 and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8 is by far the most colourful.

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
I do not like the flat icon and windows frame.
I hope the restoration of the classic theme of windows

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
The Windows Classic theme says "You can breathe now!" i suffocate (and might die ;)) when using XP's colourful themes, or Vista/7 aero or glass themes or even 8/8.1/10 flat colour themes.
I dare to say that Mac OSX users participated in designing Windows theme from Windows 8 to 10. It is all bright white. Windows 10 has no borders and no active/inactive windows bar

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
If only I could use 98/XP again....(except in VMs)
Sorry I get very Nostalgic XD

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such package design, Vista as quite appealing however performance isn't wise.

When 7 released, the package design is simple but the reliability is totally blazing fast.

When 8 released, colourful package appearance released but performance and user friendly brought many issues.

When 10 released, seems simple and not occupied very much white background but performance brought good impression by majority of users.

But what's my point? Sometimes simplicity of design but high quality of performance is always better at all + considering the company is highly influence to gather lots of users.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I dare to say that Mac OSX users participated in designing Windows theme from Windows 8 to 10. It is all bright white. Windows 10 has no borders and no active/inactive windows bar
The main problem with MS was designing both phone & desktop OS w/o any noticeable difference, that is why W10 uses white background which is favourable for most IPS LCD phones as IPS needs low power to display white than black. For me, w10 seems incomplete as MS said. MS already states W10 as incomplete and they'll refine it over the years so users can't complain. One problem that is bugging me was, search won't work on w10 even its disabled but searching worked on earlier versions of windows. Can anyone confirm this? I therefore theorized that MS came with an efficient code to keep search service turned that didn't consume massive amt of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.