32 Lawsuits Against Intel Over Spectre and Meltdown

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Quote : " In its annual SEC filing, Intel has revealed that it's facing 32 lawsuits over the Spectre and Meltdown attacks on its processors. While the Spectre problem is a near-universal issue faced by modern processors, the Meltdown attack is specific to processors from Intel and Apple, along with certain ARM designs that are coming to market shortly.

Per Intel's filing, 30 of the cases are proposed customer class-action suits from users claiming to be harmed by the flaws. While Meltdown has effective workarounds, they come with some performance cost. Workarounds for Spectre are more difficult and similarly can harm system performance.

The other two cases are securities lawsuits that claim that Intel made misleading public statements during the six-month period after the company was notified of the problems but before the attacks were made public.

Additionally, three further shareholder lawsuits were filed, claiming that Intel's board and corporate officers committed breach of duty in connection to the disclosure of the security flaws and failed to act in relation to alleged insider trading. In November last year, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sold all the Intel stock he was allowed to sell. This stock sale has provoked speculation about insider trading, though Intel maintains that Krzanich's actions were unrelated to the security issues. "

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I don't know what a federal probe is xD

Can you help me out by explaining it? :) never heard that term before hahaha
It's where the government authorizes a committee of "experts" to spend copious tax dollars to "investigate" malfeasance and generate an incomprehensible report that offers no resolution or legal recourse. By the time the committee issues its "findings" the technology is found to be obsolete, and of little interest to anyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I had read a little bit about this but who was it that brought this to light in the first place and was Apple mentioned by this same person. Has anyone found the number of cases filed against Apple as well or the other ARM device makers?

Reactions: brambedkar59

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
How would a regular user go about contacting Intel regarding issues caused to a personal machine. I installed the workarounds/Fixes and it's pretty much ruined one of my machines. This machine was quick and very responsive and now there's lags, my mouse keeps freezing and there's a definite performance hit. My machine is infection free and well maintained and I don't see why I should have to pay to fix a system that was working great until I used these fixes when this is Intel's fault. I imagine the bosses are still driving cars that cost more than my house and I want this sorted by Intel.

So how so I go about contacting them regarding this issue? I'm not happy at all. This machine was rather powerful and the performance hit caused by these fixes have turned it into a system that's ready for the scrap heap. All I want off them is what I had until this fiasco started: A fast machine that's a pleasure to use.I'm not going to sit back whilst Billionaires live a life of luxury and because of their lies and negligence I'm looking at around £800 to replace the CPU. I can more than afford to do it but why should I pay for them pretty much breaking my system. Anyone who knows the best way to contact Intel regarding this specific issue I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Fully understand that and my best guess is that you have to try contact any of the teams for the class action lawsuits as otherwise you will not get a singel dime in compensation but haven't been able to find who they are. Hopefully anyone else have that information and can supply it. Microsoft and even Google prepair to sue Intel. It's blood in the water...

YcCBoh1J_o.gif

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
If the goons running the U.S. government cared two cents about Americans, there would be a probe and then a class action suit from the Justice Department (or National Bureau on Standards and Technology etc.) on behalf of all Intel PC owners. However, my honest view of this "hardware vulnerability" after studying closely the architecture of Windows is that this is not even primarily an Intel based flaw. Not to say that Intel is perfect in every way so to speak, but, given the state of Windows and the priorities the company has built into the framework of Windows, I don't see how Intel can be held primarily responsible for the problem.

By the time "researchers" get through, every single performance based element of PC hardware design will end up a security risk and disabled if MS isn't held accountable for the lack of support of sensible monitoring based securability design in Windows. It is not designed to be secured. Only an independent government based audit of the program conducted in concert with the input of security analysts and IT professionals who understand the requirements for efficient network management will save Windows at this point, even with all the trappings of Windows 10. None of those trappings have anything to do with securability.

Ironically, I get the feeling that the managers in charge at MS console themselves by laughing with each other over the fact that noone can see what they don't choose, while they leave early from work to party with the boys or whatever they do. Further it seems apparent to me that they feel they can rest easy that noone will catch them off guard with an OS that is competently and efficiently designed to be securable and resource conscious. Well...I wonder who will be lauging last?

Study the track record at MS. MS can't secure MS Money, so it is wiped out....a program relied on by millions. MS can't secure gadgets, so they are wiped out (but they can secure tiles btw). MS can't secure the processor without ripping away its performance edge, so its edge is removed. Why should anyone believe that these numbskulls understand the first thing about a securable computer. They don't

If they knew what they are doing, they'd be in Washington begging for help setting up securable internet and network protocols. They would also have to find the minds to adapt Windows to those protocols who actually would care to work for the company. But the leadership at MS is just as ineffective as the management. Which legitimately competent program designer would work for them? No, we'll see a legit new OS before this downward spiral completely ends...that's my prediction...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.