Advice Request 360 Security for Android Removed from Google Play Store (Update: It's back)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Last edited:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
That's pretty interesting. I'm taking a shot in the dark but could it possibly be because of EU's GDPR? I see they revised their privacy policy on their site. Shows most recent changes done today. But why would the mobile app just disappear?

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
GDPR, cof..
i dont think so
That's pretty interesting. I'm taking a shot in the dark but could it possibly be because of EU's GDPR? I see they revised their privacy policy on their site. Shows most recent changes done today. But why would the mobile app just disappear?

Specially because the IOS app is still there same for MAC and windows.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Qihoo=Chinese government spyware. I would not put it anywhere near any of my devices.
Same with avast and the west, or kaspersky with russia. If a technical firm got bigger and bigger, there is a point where agencys and grovments take part of it. No matter what u want todo. Thats how the world works. U cand do anything against it.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Indian Military did a full, deep analysis of a wide range of Android products and found all of the following were backdoored and functioning as malware. 360 is on that list as backdoored/malware.

Weibo, WeChat, SHAREit, Truecaller, UC News, UC Browser, BeautyPlus, NewsDog, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc, Parallel Space, APUS Browser, Perfect Corp, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab), CM Browser, Mi Community, DU recorder, Vault-Hide, YouCam Makeup, Mi Store, CacheClear DU apps studio, DU Battery Saver, DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, 360 Security, DU Browser, Clean Master – Cheetah Mobile, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map, Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, Photo Wonder, QQ International, QQ Music, QQ Mail, QQ Player, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, QQ Security Centre, SelfieCity, Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, and QQ Launcher.

Defence Ministry to Indian armed forces: Uninstall these Chinese apps immediately

My own experience. I needed to use WeChat a few months ago because I had some dealings with some Chinese Multi-National Corps. They ALL use WeChat over there, it's like the only chat they are willing to use. Anyway, so I signed up to communicate with them. At the same time I pointed my SIEM to the device with WeChat, and sure enough, it was scooping up ALL of the data on the phone.. I mean it was literally downloading the full contents of the device directly to Beijing.

I had planned for this, and used a dummy Android Device on it's own VLAN - they're cheap enough to buy outright these days anyway and I don't want that Chinese garbage on my personal devices.. Anyway, I spilled the beans to every contact I had on WeChat which by then was about 60-70 people and uninstalled the app and tossed the device into a donation pile. At least Chinese Intelligence are predictable, to a fault, and essentially the easiest to subvert.

By the way, I'd stop worrying TOO MUCH about Russia, and start worrying about China. China has a massive effort to implant hundreds of thousands of their citizens as spies and agents of subversion in the USA. They've installed 'fake' families of intelligence agents all across the USA. They've married Chinese women to US Citizens for the sole purpose of spying. They've got an impressive and vast network in this country to steal IP and offer direct HUMINT to the Chinese Govt. Trust nothing from them. NOTHING!

I've never run into a single cheap IoT device from China (and dutifully sold on Amazon) that wasn't backdoored. This runs deep, don't think it stops at HIKVision, it's been embedded in all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Indian Military did a full, deep analysis of a wide range of Android products and found all of the following were backdoored and functioning as malware. 360 is on that list as backdoored/malware.

Weibo, WeChat, SHAREit, Truecaller, UC News, UC Browser, BeautyPlus, NewsDog, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc, Parallel Space, APUS Browser, Perfect Corp, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab), CM Browser, Mi Community, DU recorder, Vault-Hide, YouCam Makeup, Mi Store, CacheClear DU apps studio, DU Battery Saver, DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, 360 Security, DU Browser, Clean Master – Cheetah Mobile, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map, Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, Photo Wonder, QQ International, QQ Music, QQ Mail, QQ Player, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, QQ Security Centre, SelfieCity, Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, and QQ Launcher.

Defence Ministry to Indian armed forces: Uninstall these Chinese apps immediately
I never understand why Millions over Millions over Millions ppls use theses apps. Most of them are trash and not needed, simply placebo effect. And still they have almost all over 4,5 stars. Disgusting.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Those 4.5 stars are largely fake, paid or planted reviews.

The same thing happens on Amazon. Basically what happens is, if you get anywhere in the top 5,000 reviewers on Amazon you get bombarded by Chinese Firms offering 'business deals' with you. How it works is simple.

1) Agents from the Chinese firm tell you what to purchase and review.
2) You buy the item, then they paypal you back the cost of the item + a % of it for a review.
3) You review the item.

Rinse and repeat. This is why cheap Chinese junk products on Amazon tend to get pretty high reviews, they're bought and paid for. Now in all fairness to Amazon, they've implemented systems to try and spot this. For example they will check referrer links on direct product links to see if they come from Chinese referrals. Amazon will setup stings, impersonating Chinese firms, then sending out emails. If you 'bite' on those emails and respond for paid reviews they'll warn then ban your Amazon account. But the reality is there isn't much Amazon can do. Chinese have a NASTY habit of stealing IP, Form Factors and Die's from firms using them to manufacture.

Assuming the Chinese are our friends is a grave mistake. They're almost entirely a self serving parasitical country. Using any of their products and applications is a foolish mistake IMO.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

The same thing happens on Amazon. Basically what happens is, if you get anywhere in the top 5,000 reviewers on Amazon you get bombarded by Chinese Firms offering 'business deals' with you. How it works is simple.

2) You buy the item, then they paypal you back the cost of the item + a % of it for a review.
3) You review the item.

Rinse and repeat. This is why cheap Chinese junk products on Amazon tend to get pretty high reviews, they're bought and paid for. Now in all fairness to Amazon, they've implemented systems to try and spot this. For example they will check referrer links on direct product links to see if they come from Chinese referrals. Amazon will setup stings, impersonating Chinese firms, then sending out emails. If you 'bite' on those emails and respond for paid reviews they'll warn then ban your Amazon account. But the reality is there isn't much Amazon can do. Chinese have a NASTY habit of stealing IP, Form Factors and Die's from firms using them to manufacture.

Assuming the Chinese are our friends is a grave mistake. They're almost entirely a self serving parasitical country. Using any of their products and applications is a foolish mistake IMO.
It's no different from US companies like MS, Google, FB, Amazon, Apple etc who are collecting your personal data, lock, stock and barrel, with their products and services for many years more than the Chinese

So, who are the bigger threats?

Last edited:

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
It's no different from US companies like MS, Google, FB, Amazon, Apple etc who are collecting your personal data, lock, stock and barrel, with their products and services for many years more than the Chinese

So, who are the bigger threats?
American companies can be hauled into court, try that on a Chinese company. Yeah, the US government can do that but not us peons. And, if ever there is a military conflict with China, watch your made in China device be used against you in a military fashion.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
American companies can be hauled into court, try that on a Chinese company. Yeah, the US government can do that but not us peons. And, if ever there is a military conflict with China, watch your made in China device be used against you in a military fashion.

I believe you are using MS services, Google and its services or from Apple, FB/WhatsApp, Amazon services etc. So, are you preparing to haul these companies to court?

How do you know the military hardware sold by the US is not sending back navigational telemetry data?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Important points. We must remember, we're largely protected by the US Constitution. Sure, the US Govt. can scoop up things on us, but the very second they TRY to use what they have scooped up then they implicated themselves in gross violations of federal law and constitutional protections and that's when you can put the hammer down on them. So all of that information they are gathering is rather useless, it simply cannot be used in any measurable fashion for anything remotely useful. Once it's used, they've committed a crime, the law is on your side at that very second. The US Govt. knows this, therefore the vast majority of that data will never see the light of day, it can't!

The Chinese however, have weaponized virtually everything and they can, and will use it against you because they don't really care about laws, regulations or constitutions.

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016

3) You review the item.

Iam one of "these" reviewers. ( actually not one of "these" you describe because these dont exist )
thats actually wrong about the amazon part.

Chinese contact you as soon as you make a email open in your profile on amazon.

and these offer product for free yes.

and its not only the chinese. i got american companys , UK companys , german ones indian ones and more that contact me lol

BUT you ONLY get the products worth back not an extra % sadly. most times you even loose a few cents because of currency conversion / paypal fee

Your not forced to review 5 star or anything

I allways review entirely 100% true so many of these offers already got from me 1 star or 3 or whatever i deemed right.

Some Reviews are paid. these are the ones with Extremely broken languages

Just wanted to clear that out hell it would be a dream if i would get a % out of any article i review xD i could then live from it.

i get like 85% bombarded on cosmetics from china on my review email 5 % random stuff no one normal could use ( engine parts , weird stuff and so on ) and another 5 % good stuff you could use and another 5% smartphone cases .

but i review only stuff i want personally and private like tshirts , or whatever i can use. ( i mean who doesnt like free clothing that actually looks good ? )

like i review that way .

Does it perfectly do what it describes todo ? 5 stars. ( on technical products i think about the prize too i mean 20 € earphones cant be compared to 150€ ones if the 20€ are good for the prize range and look durable and sound well for the prize ) they get 5 stars

Does it do what describes but with issues ( like a shaver hurts a bit and stuff 2-4 stars )

it is ##### / broken / doesnt do what the description said ( like a shaver that shaves but not cleanly , hurts and overall is a Horrible experience ) 1-2 stars. ( you cant give less than 1 sadly )

Back to topic.

its weird its gone i didnt want to install it just randomly saw its gone and nowhere mentioned i can only think that the aggresive ads online with fake virus warnings to install that App triggered google

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's visible on Google Play Store. Latest update (30th June 2018) state in-app Ads have been removed.

1530478700215.png

Image: Google Play Store as of 1st July 2018.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qihoo.security
  1. Supporting no ads in app.
  2. Super lock screen, to provide phone optimization tips and a variety of handy tools (super easy to use).
  3. Space clean-up optimization, to solve the problem of lack of space and clean up more thoroughly.
  4. Bug fixed and product performance optimization.
  5. More new features and optimization, welcome to experience.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
@ForgottenSeer 58943 What about Chinese phones like Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi etc ?
a couple of months ago US government said "do not buy any Chinese smartphones" but in my country (EU) vast majority of people use those phones including me. Because they are cheap and kinda cool.
I thought this is just marketing and business BS not a real threat but after this I'm considering to change my smartphone when I will have the opportunity.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
a couple of months ago US government said "do not buy any Chinese smartphones" but in my country (EU) vast majority of people use those phones including me. Because they are cheap and kinda cool.
I thought this is just marketing and business BS not a real threat but after this I'm considering to change my smartphone when I will have the opportunity.

I don't really care about what the government say. I am still going to buy and use Huawei phone. Samsung and Apple are overrated for me. I am going for the under dog this time. Heck, even America smartphone carried a backdoor, so what's the difference between Chinese smartphone and American smartphone if both can spy on you 24/7?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

There is some thought that you may be better off buying a Chinese Smart Phone, then using appropriate lockdowns and encryption on it. That way you avoid US backdoors.

However, Trump's NSA is rolling back gross abuses, and were just ordered to destroy 700,000,000 phone records going back to 2015. Also SCOTUS keeps ruling in favor of US Citizens, affirming that there MUST be a warrant in place to review phone location and location history. So change is afoot.

I think it was Kim Dotcom that suggested to avoid US Backdoors one should buy Chinese phone.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's visible on Google Play Store. Latest update (30th June 2018) state in-app Ads have been removed.
It still has ads, but you can now buy an ad free subscription service, just like with their Windows software. No only does it has ads, but it also has targeted advertising. The first time you launch it, you have the option to opt out of targeted ads.
Screenshot_20180702-191240.png
For a Chinese antivirus, I greatly prefer Tencent WeSecure. It has no ads and has performed very well in testing. The screenshots on Google Play and the WeSecure website, are outdated. The screenshots show junk cleaning features, but they were removed a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.