3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 10/9/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config

You can test Kingsoft AV anti-webcam logger here:
http://zemana.com/WebCamLogger_Test.aspx

I only encourage keeping UAC enabled, but not everyone can like it.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Earth said:
You can test Kingsoft AV anti-webcam logger here:
http://zemana.com/WebCamLogger_Test.aspx

I only encourage keeping UAC enabled, but not everyone can like it.

Thanks Earth

and I really don't like UAC... Its annoying to me.
I'm sure I'm fine without it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Yes, it might be running like a charm, but I have seen old laptops crash and the person that has been running has not backup option. Do you have one?

D

Deleted member 178

3link9 said:
and I really don't like UAC... Its annoying to me.
I'm sure I'm fine without it.

So i suppose you don't like HIPS :D

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

McLovin said:
Yes, it might be running like a charm, but I have seen old laptops crash and the person that has been running has not backup option. Do you have one?
Whoops, Forgot about Paragon.... I'll get it tomorrow.

So i suppose you don't like HIPS
Actually I love HIPS.
As long as I keep it in learning mode for a few minutes.
That and most Hips like Comodo's and OA's are more detailed and tells you what that certain application is trying to do
ex:
".exe.exe is trying to access a protected registry key"
"Rouge.exe wants unlimited access to your computer"
and Comodo for example gives a color code like Red and Yellow.

So I do likes HIPS as its more detailed than UAC.
and Honestly, Its not always annoying as you can mark a application in a HIPS so it won't nag you again.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 7/9/12

Updated:
Removed Avast Free 7
Removed Kingsoft Antivirus 2012
Added Bitdefender Total Security 2013 (Trial)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

3link9 said:

Let me know how you go with that, because last time I tried it it was really slow and kept crashing the computer.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

McLovin said:
3link9 said:

Let me know how you go with that, because last time I tried it it was really slow and kept crashing the computer.

It was slow
it is slow
it will ___

Hope something like norton happen to this product, a good product but a resource hog

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
McLovin said:
3link9 said:

It was slow
it is slow
it will ___

Hope something like norton happen to this product, a good product but a resource hog

I am not so sure if you have tried BD 2013. Compared to 2012 it isnt that slow. Only slow thing there is the scanning speed/cleaning speed.

They did improve quite a lot compared to the beta and the moment it went live (rushed product).

Give a try before saying a product is a resource hog.

I for one will do the swap once a few issues here and there are resolved. For that, I am keeping an eye out on their forums.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

I am not so sure if you have tried BD 2013

I don't comment on product till I give it a try.

It is light in terms of 2012 version but a dead body do not become light in weight if someone cuts its hair

Its something like that for BD product

Edit: I am not a born critic but I only criticize a product which deserve to criticize

P

Plexx

a few things you have to consider: not all systems are the same.

BD is not a resource hog if you have fully tried it. if you are simply referring to memory use, then I have no other comments.

Simply bashing a product like you did:
It was slow
it is slow
it will ___

is not a nice thing. It was slow, I agree. It is slow, I beg to differ.

Norton's resource hog was an issue in past versions. Kaspersky for example has improved a lot but there are still issues with it and it does fall on the heavy side suite.

ESET: everyone says memory high, but then again until you try it, you will not know that it is actually light.

Most common misconception: Heavy = High RAM

One way to find out how heavy a product is: monitor i/o, ram, cpu while doing a scan, cleaning and day to day operation for a few days (not a few hours).

I had BD 2013 IS installed few days in Beta, few days after release and then re-downloaded to do my review after a couple of days of just sitting around while I explored every feature (one that I forgot to mention was sanbox for web browser, but since stock settings had toolbar turned off, I did not approach that topic, since I was doing everything with stock settings).

If you wish to criticize a product, you are more than welcome to, however please have valid arguments and proofs for your critics.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

I am not the person who will only describe the software as Heavy/Slow because of its Ram usage.(Maybe i am not skilled that much but still know this)
Eset and Mse are best example of it and they are lighter then many low Ram user av.

Second Norton was resource hogger in past but from 2009 version it has improved a lot and so is kaspersky specially the Pure version is very light and I am using this on my desktop.

No one denies fact that if a product is good it will be appreciated.

I have given a try to BD after seeing your review but i find still its heavy on my system compare to other security products.

Last but not the least a prominent forum owner whose av test result was quite famous on various blogs few years back term BD as resource hogger and bad av(in term of slowdown) in his forum few days back.
He also mentioned that BD have damaged his window image of 7 in his post.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Ok so,

After two days of using it, I have yet to experience a slowdown and my laptop is only running 1.5 usable RAM out of 2.
However, I did experience a slight slowdown while it was updating but it wasn't long.
Scanning speeds are okay but could use improvement.

So far i really impressed with it, I might end up buying it soon!
Way better than the 2012 version

and just to add, I never use the auto pilot mode.

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Ok so,

After two days of using it, I have yet to experience a slowdown and my laptop is only running 1.5 usable RAM out of 2.
However, I did experience a slight slowdown while it was updating but it wasn't long.
Scanning speeds are okay but could use improvement.

So far i really impressed with it, I might end up buying it soon!
Way better than the 2012 version

and just to add, I never use the auto pilot mode.

Scanning speed are way better than in beta, but trust me to scan my full system I was bored to hell.

It is not to say BitDefender has the slowest scan speed of the pack.

Auto pilot did improve from previous version but still makes certain mistakes. I suppose is ok for a beginner user but don't think the average and advanced user will leave AP on.

One thing you might want to try out is enable BitDefender toolbar in the options and then give the sanbox a go for web browsing.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 7/13/12

Updated:

Removed
Bitdefender TS 2013 (end of trial)
Advanced System Care Free

Added:
AVG Internet Security 2012
Kingsoft Antivirus 2012
Kingsoft PC Doctor

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 7/14/12

I am sure your computer is slower than the older setup

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: 3link9's Laptop Config (Updated 7/14/12

Stranger said:
I am sure your computer is slower than the older setup

Actually no its not, Been running this setup for almost 6 hours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.