Guide | How To 5 back-to-school tips to help kids stay safe online

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Source: 5 back-to-school tips to help kids stay safe online

For those of us who have children, I would like share this article provided by Sophos Naked Security.

I never had the opportunity of being told about the online risks and dangers of the internet when I was a child (5yrs old onwards), my parents were very unaware of my time on the internet (no parental control filters, security etc.) so this lead on to me discovering 'too much of the internet from a very early age' (you can probably guess what) as a result. I would have the occasional odd e-safety day in school but by then it was too late for me.

In a way, its made me more aware (I knew too much already by this point :D) and a better person as a result! So I saw it as a positive experience but I will hope to teach my children someday soon so that they do not discover the horrors of the internet.

As children around the world (in the northern hemisphere, anyway) end their summer breaks and start to head back to school, they’ll be using the internet and their phones for schoolwork and socializing. Of course, we want to make sure kids are safe and smart online, so we’re sharing these 5 back-to-school tips to help.

Take a moment to check in and make sure your kids are familiar with these, if they aren’t already, so they have a great experience online this school year.

1) If you wouldn’t share it in person, don’t post it online
A lot of what you post online may seem like it’s just being shared between you and your friends or family, but if your posts or shares are public, anyone can read what you share.

Things that you post online or on apps also have a long, long life. If you don’t want the whole world (including your grandma!) to read or see something you posted that might be embarrassing or too personal, never post it online. Even if the app says it expires what you post, there are always waysaround that.

Lastly, remember that your posts and your words have power, even online. Being a good online citizen means remembering that what you say about others can have a deep impact. So be kind and remember, if you wouldn’t want someone saying something to you, you probably shouldn’t say it either.

2) Keep your posts private and profiles minimal
Have you checked the privacy of your social media profiles? We have put together some tips on how to lock down your Facebook and Instagram profiles to help. In general, it’s a good idea to keep your profiles locked to be invite/friends only, so you know and can control exactly who can see your posts.

That said, there are plenty of privacy options out there for each social network, so it’s always good to keep an eye on your privacy settings and check on them from time to time.

Remember that while what you post on apps might – and should! – be private, you cannot guarantee that your information is stored safely or that someone might take a screenshot and share it. Be stingy with what you information you share, like your location, email address, or personal information, because this information is accessible to everyone. (And you don’t want everyone to have this information, do you?)

3) Sharing is caring, but not when it comes to passwords
Passwords should be unique, and should stay personal to you.

While it might seem a lot easier to have the same password for all your apps and websites, the reality is that if someone gets your email and password for one website, they now can access everything you’ve signed up for. In fact, this happens a lot when a site gets hacked: hackers are betting that people reuse their passwords and once they’ve hacked a site, they try the passwords they’ve stolen on other sites.

You also shouldn’t share accounts or passwords between friends. If you share accounts and your friend’s phone is ever stolen or broken in to, suddenly all your accounts are put at risk as well. It’s super easy to avoid this from happening to you – just don’t share accounts!

4) Be a discriminating downloader
If you think of your phone or computer like the human body, you wouldn’t want to just feed yourself awful grunge you found on the street. That’s why you want to be careful about what you put on your devices. Dodgy apps or programs could completely brick your phone or computer, and in some cases, they could put you and your family’s information and privacy at risk.

So be careful what you click, whether it’s a link in a funny-looking email, a questionable app, or a flashy ad for free software. You’re safest downloading apps from the official app stores for your phone, not from random websites.

5) Keep things logged out and locked down
When you’re done using an app or website, make sure you log out when you’re done. This is especially important if you’re using a public computer at a library, school, or even at a store. Otherwise, you’re basically giving the next person who logs on at the Apple Store free control over your Facebook account or personal emails.

You’ll also want to add a passcode to your phone. While it might seem like an inconvenience, the benefits outweigh any hassle. You’re keeping all your app and account information out of the hands of a thief, should you ever lose access to your phone. It also stops any of your friends playing a prank on you if they get hold of your phone.

A passcode is a super simple but very effective way to keep someone from posting in your accounts as you, hijacking your accounts altogether, accessing your private information, or even buying things to cost you money. Something as simple as a passcode can help you avoid a whole lot of (preventable) trouble.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have had many talks with my girls, but as any father would, I worry.
So I also hover :p I trust them and they are coming along nicely. My 12yr old
actually helps me clone my HD, when she feels like sitting still lol
I know though at that age curiosity can and will get the best of even the smartest
and well behaved child, so I do my duty and remain ever vigilant.
Good thread Spartacus.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
I have had many talks with my girls, but as any father would, I worry.
So I also hover :p I trust them and they are coming along nicely. My 12yr old
actually helps me clone my HD, when she feels like sitting still lol
I know though at that age curiosity can and will get the best of even the smartest
and well behaved child, so I do my duty and remain ever vigilant.
Good thread Spartacus.

I can absolutely understand @_CyberGhosT_ , If I was a father I would still be worried about my children too, especially if I have girl(s). It's good that you are close to your girls and how your twelve year old helps you with HD cloning! :) I'm sure they're very close with you and put their full trust in you.

I know of so many parents; so many parents that are 'disconnected' with their children when they're coming into teenage hood. I know of some parents who are absolutely clueless, (not their faults as they come from different countries or do not understand English etc or aren't tech-savy) they never discover what their children do or get up to on the internet.

I believe this idea of disconnection of parents and children is quite predominate in Asian households and where the parents are from an older generation when education was rare. (e.g. parents originating from another country but the children are born in the place they reside), not so much everywhere else.

So it's extremely pleasing to hear this! :)

I hope to have a well-connected relationship with my future children when it comes to matters like this. I would like them to confide in me, rather than to just hide away.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.