5 Common Myths that Stop People from Using an Antivirus

bunchuu

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
This is presentation from Quick Heal Webinar which focus on common "excuse" to overlooked security countermeasure (not only AV).

Here is the list:
#1 You Only Visit Safe Website
#2 Security Software Slowdown Your System
#3 You Don't Have Any Data That Useful for Hacker
#4 You Own Mac and Mac Don't Get Virus
#5 You Don't Need to Connect to Internet

;)

bunchuu

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
#1 and #3, quite often heard.
#1 Hacker can use jedi mind (social engineering) trick to make you visit "grey" website
#3 The rise of global scale botnet threat everyone

Another one:
" when subscription period is over anti virus becomes virus itself"
maybe not becomes virus itself but become annoying program which often to make pop up notification to user.

I hate hearing #4
Apple have fanatic fan boy and "happy" user who only know about "just works!" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OokamiCreed

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Point number 2 is actually the Achilles hill on some security software companies.
That and Real World System Impact (CPU and I/O writing with occasional memory leaks)

For the average user who knows not much at all, they will either install a solution recommended by someone or use the one pre-installed. Rarely you will see these group of people running an OS without a security solution, and even if they don't and they are running Windows 8 and above, WD is enabled by default, along with other means of some protection.

So, in essence, point 1 to point 5 only attribute to the people that has a bit more knowledge.

Bearing in mind casual and not so computer savy equal to more than 60% of the population so to speak, I wouldn't bluntly call it a myth and generalize it like that.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
this one is real.

+1!! I used to use Norton back in very old years (since 2000s) have experience performance slow down.
Which is why I don't focus on getting the best security at that time, instead getting the most RAM Desktop.. :D

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
This is presentation from Quick Heal Webinar which focus on common "excuse" to overlooked security countermeasure (not only AV).

Here is the list:
#1 You Only Visit Safe Website
#2 Security Software Slowdown Your System
#3 You Don't Have Any Data That Useful for Hacker
#4 You Own Mac and Mac Don't Get Virus
#5 You Don't Need to Connect to Internet

;)
1. What's "safe" now can be unsafe later
2. True. It's not a question about if it's going to slowdown the system but rather by how much.
3. They will probably think of a way to use every single data you have.
4. Not sure. I have heard reports of Mac having malware, however I don't think it was specified if it was a virus.
5. Erm..sure. I guess. If a person doesn't want to use the computer to access the internet, that's his/her choice. Still there's a problem, you might still be vulnerable to usb infections.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
1 more :-
"Av companies create viruses"

Actually its been highly discussed from numerous articles about the controversy/scandal, some reason stated that they create those 'dummy' things for improvements or testing the overall capabilities however majority stated that a desperate move for improving the overall rankings prior of claiming the fast -response based.

However in reality, I don't think none of companies will do that cause if proven then there reputation and shares will remarkably be downhill + considering they have a lot of techniques to gather samples and analyze automatically.

Reactions: frogboy

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
It irritates me when anti-virus developer companies say "You Don't Need to Connect to Internet".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.