8 reasons to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox

SeriousHoax

Level 43
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Confirmed loading delay for Dark Reading but here, it was the Strict setting in Firefox that was causing the delay. Changing it to Standard and the page loaded within about a second with Trace and uBO enabled (minimal settings above default) It seems this is Firefox's setup for Strict settings:

I saw on the GitHub page your issue was marked as "closed," SeriousHoax.
Yeah, it's the "Tracking content" in Strict or Custom mode causes this. Disabling it works.
1657058064151.png
I am using Firefox with Strict settings and couldn't reproduce the delay. I also think that it could be related to uBlock Origin, as I don't have the issue with AdGuard extension.
That's weird because everyone but you can reproduce it. I can even reproduce it even if I disable uBO and only use Firefox with Strict/"Tracking content" turned on.
Don't why the issue is not present in Adguard because there is nothing special in the log.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I disabled uBlock Origin and let ETP run on custom with everything enabled, Tracking content set to all windows and cookies to block all 3rd parties.

ETP enabled: delayed webpage rendering. Browser hints it's done loading, but the website is blank for 4 seconds.
ETP disabled: Same result as with it enabled, however the page remains blank for half that time (2s).

Pressing F5 and CTRL+F5 makes loading the page instant after that, till I empty the browser cache for that website manually using the padlock.

SeriousHoax

Level 43
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I disabled uBlock Origin and let ETP run on custom with everything enabled, Tracking content set to all windows and cookies to block all 3rd parties.

ETP enabled: delayed webpage rendering. Browser hints it's done loading, but the website is blank for 4 seconds.
ETP disabled: Same result as with it enabled, however the page remains blank for half that time (2s).

Pressing F5 and CTRL+F5 makes loading the page instant after that, till I empty the browser cache for that website manually using the padlock.
Due to Yuki's suggestion, the filter rule has been updated, and now the site works properly even with tracking protection set to Strict.

oldschool

Level 68
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That's weird because everyone but you can reproduce it. I can even reproduce it even if I disable uBO and only use Firefox with Strict/"Tracking content" turned on.
I could reproduce it but the cause was µBO filters and not FF Strict setting. It's weird that different users are having different experiences.

amirr

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I ditched Firefox because of its ugly UI and moved to Chrome and also Edge.