89% of EU Government Sites Infiltrated by Ad Tracking Scripts

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Third-party advertising technology (ad tech) trackers from 112 companies were found on 89% of official government websites of EU member states by Cookiebot, a cookie and online tracking consent solution, after scanning 184,683 pages.

As discovered by Cookiebot, 25 out of 28 of the EU official government websites it checked came with ad tech trackers, with the German, Spanish, and Dutch governmental websites being the only three on which commercial trackers were not detected.

EU government websites do not use advertising revenue for funding and are the ones that should provide an example to all other organizations and companies with an online presence on how GDPR's regulations should be upheld.
Despite this, ad tech trackers have found their way in, infiltrating with the help of third-party plugins used to provide various features "such as video players, social sharing widgets, web analytics, galleries and comments sections."

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I shouldn't be surprised.... but I am a little surprised.

We should be moving beyond this at some point..

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Germany got no trackers. That does not surprise me. Merkel said some years ago "Internet is newland" that says it all. Pretty sure the german grov still trying to firgure out how to use a browser and the www.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.