9/11: The day we lost our privacy and power

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Investigative reporter Duncan Campbell reflects how 9/11 has torpedoed resistance to intrusion and undermined privacy rights born of earlier struggles. It may, irreversibility, have changed the way we think.

9/11 was a savage nightmare that took too long to happen for some in the West.

For 12 fallow years, from the fall of the Wall to the fall of the Towers, there was a brief golden period in which no great common enemy menaced all unseen beyond the distant horizon. There was no simple spectre of fear on which to construct, fund and operate surveillance platforms, or reason to tap data funnels into society's communications and transport arteries.

Through the '90s, in debates about the control of communications and electronic security measures – amid a US-led hue and cry for government control of all cryptography (remember the "Clipper Chip"?) – the "what if" question hung always in the mouths of the proponents of more control. What if terrorists had a nuke? A new virus to plague civilisation?

But the bad guys largely stayed off stage. The inter-Irish conflict that had dogged the UK had subsided into a peace process. There was a global terrorist shortage.

Read more

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From survivors the tragic 9/11 is ain't easy to forgot on how a big tragic were happened to them.

So on the anniversary of 9/11 a respect on those people were died on that attack.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
It was one of the worst days i can remember!, i remember getting out of school early and seeing the news and my family crying... it was horrible!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I was 5 years old (lived in Saudi Arabia) when watched the news about 9/11 attacked, unforgettable how the building collapsed with a known hijack airplane.

D

Deleted member 178

i was going to my job (a video games shop in a maul) then i saw the maul empty, abnormal at that time (9am) and many people watching the tv in the big electronic store, i check there then saw i plane crashing on the towers, at beginning i thought it was a new movie ! then i saw the CNN badge then i understood...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
We were actually in Saudi Arabia at the time and was on edge of what will happen. We were always worried when going out to the shops, and stuff. A day that no one wants to remember.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.