9% of Popular Websites Use Anti-Adblock Scripts

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Around 9% of today's most popular websites deployed or are deploying anti-adblock scripts in an effort to maintain advertising revenues and fight off the rise in the adoption of ad-blocking extensions.

The percentage comes from a research project carried out by academics from the University of Iowa and University of California-Riverside that reviewed the use of anti-adblock scripts in the past five years.

Researchers looked for two of the most popular anti-adblock solutions, namely Anti-Adblock Killer List and the Combined EasyList (Adblock Warning Removal List + Anti-Adblock sections in EasyList).

These are scripts that are loaded on a website that try to detect if the user is employing an ad-blocking extension and allows sites to show a notification through which they ask the user to allow ads on the site by disabling the ad blocker or by whitelisting the site.

5.2% of Alexa Top 100,000 sites using anti-adblock scripts
For their project, researchers scanned cached website copies stored in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for today's Alexa Top 5,000 Websites, looking for the two anti-adblock scripts named above.
Around 9% of today's most popular websites deployed or are deploying anti-adblock scripts in an effort to maintain advertising revenues and fight off the rise in the adoption of ad-blocking extensions.

The percentage comes from a research project carried out by academics from the University of Iowa and University of California-Riverside that reviewed the use of anti-adblock scripts in the past five years.

Researchers looked for two of the most popular anti-adblock solutions, namely Anti-Adblock Killer List and the Combined EasyList (Adblock Warning Removal List + Anti-Adblock sections in EasyList).

These are scripts that are loaded on a website that try to detect if the user is employing an ad-blocking extension and allows sites to show a notification through which they ask the user to allow ads on the site by disabling the ad blocker or by whitelisting the site.

5.2% of Alexa Top 100,000 sites using anti-adblock scripts
For their project, researchers scanned cached website copies stored in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine for today's Alexa Top 5,000 Websites, looking for the two anti-adblock scripts named above.

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
Most anti-adblock scripts I've come across detect the value of a certain variable assigned based on whether the ad elements on the site exist or not. If they're warded off, the variable's value remains undefined, triggering the script.

Still, there are more clever pieces of code like this one I saw yesterday (BTW ContentBlockHelper successfully circumvents it where uBlock Origin fails):

HTML:
<div id="overlayxxx" style="color: white; background-color: grey; text-align:center;border:1px solid red"><br><h1 style="color: white;">Important Note:</h1><h2 style="color: white;">We have detected you use Adblock. Please disable Adblock and reload the webpage.</h2><h2 style="color: white;">We only use a small Ad banner to support this site.</h2><h2 style="color: white;">Thanks for your support.</h2></div>

<script type="text/javascript">

function adBlockNotDetected() {
}
function adBlockDetected() {
       document.getElementById("overlayxxx").style.display = "block";
}

var importFAB = document.createElement('script');
        importFAB.onload = function() {
       };
        importFAB.onerror = function() {
               adBlockDetected();
        };
        importFAB.setAttribute('async', true);
       importFAB.src = 'https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js';
       document.head.appendChild(importFAB);

</script>

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_01072018_132124.jpg
    capture_01072018_132124.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 1,033

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
That is unfortunate.

Advertising has become so annoying (e.g. full page ones that you must close to view page), that I now use a blocker again. There is also the risk of malware.

Reactions: Kuttz and AtlBo

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
There are many ANTI- anti-adblocking extensions now. Grease monkey comes to mind, but a quick search in Firefox turns up several.

The best way around those on Android, is a global adblocker, like Blokada, DNS66, or Netguard, from GitHub page.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I might be completely wrong about this, but I think website revenue will be generated in the near future by cryptocurrency mining. Ads use to be a good source of income, but mining is much easier...

Of course, all this depends on the cryptocurrency bubble, stability, or price.

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
In the next years we'll see an arms race between adblockers and publicity companies... The problem is that publicity companies have way more money for research and development than adblocker developers...
This is already happening.

Reactions: mlnevese

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
I've made a rule-based (no lists) Tampermonkey script disabling inline adblock detection scripts, but it doesn't work for linked scripts with src attribute.

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
PC Gamer This website detect my Adgaurd:/ whats the solution?
EASY: have your YesScript2 on red position (=block all scripts) to block ads - so no more adblock detection! - or another script blocker on "block all scripts" position...
To test try too thewindowsclub.com: TheWindowsClub and click on articles... scroll slightly ...if you see "Uh Oh...Adblocker detected!.." - try my solution.

Uh Oh...Adblocker detected!..:love:

Last edited:
Reactions: mlnevese

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
Finally uploaded an anti-detection extension to Chrome Webstore I've been working on for a few days. It was working well in my own tests, so I'll give the link if/when it's officially published.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hello Tsiehshi, VERY Good, let's make your extension!
I look forward to trying it!

In the meantime, you have a small example of extension that works on some websites (only 3, Danish):
Adblock Unblock: Adblock Unblock
- very good name, but for three websites only... pity...

- example of this Danish website to unblock (videos blurred...): TV3 SPORT »
- another website example to unblock: News: India News, Latest Bollywood News, Sports News, Business & Political News, National & International News | Times of India

Another extensions working (maybe...) on some websites only:

AdBlock Companion: AdBlock Companion

IsraBlock (works on more websites): IsraBlock

Indian News Anti Anti-AdBlock: Indian News Anti Anti-AdBlock

Nano Defender (An anti-adblock defuser for Nano Adblocker and uBlock Origin only): Nano Defender

Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek:
Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek for Greasemonkey
Then: Use AdBlock without being detected

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsiehshi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.