A better Windows Defender is here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Here's info from MS about the more powerful Windows Defender for WIN 10 -

"..Windows Defender has become more powerful in Windows 10. It can be used as a dependable anti-malware in Windows 10 and most home users may not find it necessary to install a 3rd-party antivirus software on the computer. However, Microsoft has changed couple of things in Windows Defender. Now, the Settings panel of Windows Defender has been migrated to the new Settings app of Windows 10. That is why you may find it difficult the first time to configure Windows Defender in Windows 10.

By following this guide, you will know some of the methods to open Windows Defender settings in Windows 10. We will also see how to how to turn on, turn off, enable, disable, open, configure & use Windows Defender.."

I guess we will try it out :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This actually makes trying out the newest Windows more attractive as well as more likely to be sooner than later for me!:) I've a soft spot in my heart for Defender which I'd used (alongside Sandboxie) for the 1st six months of using Windows 8.1 newly risen from 8. I can feel the stubbornness fading..:p
Thanks, @acme!:D

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
I will surely try out Window Defender in window 10 coz i am seeing its results in malwares section and they are pretty good :)

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Would love to try for few weeks along with zemana anti malware for secondary usages :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course Microsoft's flagship AV will do something a little revamp but the word baseline will still be covered no matter what angle, its not a worse detection/prevention capability but if insist to play (if you know what I mean) with a mediocre program then say good bye. ;)

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
I already tried windows defender on windows 10, I can say it is really powerful they've improved it significantly. It is my main protection on home PC.

Reactions: Secondmineboy

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I doubt that's the case when it comes to protection. However, until Kaspersky isn't fully compatible with Windows 10, I'll have to live with it. I'll see how good it really is.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here's info from MS about the more powerful Windows Defender for WIN 10 -

"..Windows Defender has become more powerful in Windows 10. It can be used as a dependable anti-malware in Windows 10 and most home users may not find it necessary to install a 3rd-party antivirus software on the computer. However, Microsoft has changed couple of things in Windows Defender. Now, the Settings panel of Windows Defender has been migrated to the new Settings app of Windows 10. That is why you may find it difficult the first time to configure Windows Defender in Windows 10.

By following this guide, you will know some of the methods to open Windows Defender settings in Windows 10. We will also see how to how to turn on, turn off, enable, disable, open, configure & use Windows Defender.."

I guess we will try it out :)

The excerpt you copied was from THEWINDOWSCLUB.COM, not a Microsoft website. This article is in regards to 'How to configure Windows Defender in Windows 10'. It does not mean a third-party Antivirus is not needed.

Posted for clarification.

Reactions: Azure

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
The excerpt you copied was from THEWINDOWSCLUB.COM, not a Microsoft website. This article is in regards to 'How to configure Windows Defender in Windows 10'. It does not mean a third-party Antivirus is not needed.

Posted for clarification.

The user could also have chosen to post these links instead :

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/24/security-in-windows-10/

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ree-upgrade-available-in-190-countries-today/

Both links are official Microsoft links and states the same as the original poster stated in link in opening post.

Third-party antivirus applications are indeed unneeded in Windows 10.
Just like they where on Windows 8.1.

It's not a popular statement to make on home user security forums, because usually they are populated by grumpy old men that are diehard fanboys of some third-party AV that they bought back in 2002 and they simply refuse to accept that the world around them has changed.

(Not aimed at you, Huracan. You have been around long enough to know exactly what I'm talking about)

And I know very well that some time after me posting this we will see somebody rushing in posting some homegrown YouTube video of a undetected file.
What that video DOESN'T show is, that ANY AV out there will miss a file every now and then - no matter if signatures comes from Kaspersky, ESET, BitDefender, Microsoft or anybody else.
What that video also DOESN'T show is that all vendors react to these bypasses with engine updates and of course signatures.

Bottom line, the combination of Windows Defender, Windows SmartScreen, the sandbox in Appcontainer that all Windows Universal Apps uses including Edge, and everything else that Windows 10 holds will protect you just fine.

No need for third-party AV's and their bug-filled code that causes more damage, crashes and compatibility problems then most malware does.

With what is natively built into Windows 10 you can stay perfectly safe without spending 6-8 hours each day on some forum asking for help with some third-party application.

Those hours are much better spend with your loved ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.