App Review A Bitdefender Internet Security test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I wonder if Active Threat Control set to aggressive would make a difference or running it in Windows 10.
Well bit defender is a paid soft. Unlike free soft they have an obligation to each and every user to protect their system once they install their software, be it tweaked or not so. Remember they have a specific module just to prevent ransomware. Hence enabling or disabling of a module doesn't count. It failed.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Good video but...
AV Comparatives is incredibly fake. I think they are getting paid to say that all of the AV products get 100% in every test...

Look at this:

upload_2016-12-4_10-43-38.png

It said that almost all of the AVs tested got 100%! There is no way that Tencent, Trend Micro, Vipre, AVG, F-Secure or any other AV got 100% in this test. Unless you used incredibly old samples then these tests are completely fake.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Most of the av companies tests give good results by using samples older than dinosaurs i would assume. Reason they do that is because if they don't no AV company will want to be tested by them. Simple as that.
They help AV companies make sales with good scores and the AV companies pays. Probably doesn't apply to all testing companies but a lot of those do it.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Good video but...
AV Comparatives is incredibly fake. I think they are getting paid to say that all of the AV products get 100% in every test...

Look at this:

View attachment 125795
It said that almost all of the AVs tested got 100%! There is no way that Tencent, Trend Micro, Vipre, AVG, F-Secure or any other AV got 100% in this test. Unless you used incredibly old samples then these tests are completely fake.
Most of the av companies tests give good results by using samples older than dinosaurs i would assume. Reason they do that is because if they don't no AV company will want to be tested by them. Simple as that.
They help AV companies make sales with good scores and the AV companies pays. Probably doesn't apply to all testing companies but a lot of those do it.
Exactly!

Another great share @cruelsister that shows some of the big players (still) need to revise their basic protection - if they advertise they will intercept "any", they should deliver. ["Advanced Ransomware Protection" @ Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 - Internet Security Software ].
Why? Because many users will not change the settings to max out the product, they will trust in the ads, either being to lazy or simply not aware how to maximize protection.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Good video but...

Look at this:

View attachment 125795
Personally, I dislike the 100% label as well. Nothing is 100%. I guess people just get tired of writing "100% of the samples tested". And yes, every AV vendor pays to participate in these tests. Apparently, they all pay the same. Whether that is entirely true only AV Comparatives will know. Knowing how much they ask for, I don't see why they would require "extra money" though. They make money hand over fist already.

One aspect that is often forgotten is how these tests are performed. Cruelsister's test ignores a whole bunch of security layers. Just to name a few:
  • All URL blocking is avoided, samples just magically appear on the system (there are some very aggressive URL filters out there, a lot of which are responsible for those 100% results; just look at Trend Micro for example)
  • Unlike files downloaded from the internet, it is likely that all those files miss the zone identifier (a lot of behaviour blockers will give extra bias towards files that come from the internet, using the zone identifier that is present whenever you download a file in a browser, but that are never there if you just get them from a sample pack)
  • The JavaScript downloaders usually arrive in archives, which can make a difference (for example certain security tools will harden applications and limit what they can do; Word or WinRAR executing wscript.exe for example, would be a huge no-no)
AV Comparatives is a bit more well-rounded and tries to emulate the usual infection vectors as closely as possible. They essentially take a malicious URL, visit it with a vulnerable system and the product installed. They then try to do anything to get the system infected, like clicking Run if a download window pops up or clicking all the links. The whole process is highly automated including control runs and video recordings of all systems. It's actually pretty neat from a technical point of view. However, if one product relies heavily on URL reputation and blocking for example, it would fare very well in an AV Comparatives test, but very poorly in a cruelsister test.

It does have its drawbacks though. Certain infection vectors are underrepresented in my opinion. Mostly anything related to file sharing and trojanised warez, probably due to legal reasons. They also tend to ignore email as an infection vector. I guess for most users it won't matter, since I would imagine people mostly use webmail anyway, which turns email into a normal download infection vector, which is well covered in the AV Comparatives testing, but I do feel they can improve in that regard. AV Test for example does test with malicious emails and a normal email client as well.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Ana- With BD I just had soooo many choices of malware that bypass it it was difficult to choose which one to demonstrate!

About upping the ATC- once again a really pretty term but that's about it. It was bypassed in all modes. Also as the Pro testers didn't employ it, I also could not for the purpore of this video.

FW- Good points, but I avoid doing the URL test as the URL blocking is essentially equivalent to having a definition for a true zero day sample- new malware, as well as new malware URL's will just blow right by such protection schemes. Also running some URL's that may have been sitting on some list or other for God knows how long is in my opinion a waste of my viewers time (which I fervently hope is precious). I also didn't include it as the song wasn't that long.

Regarding email protection you have a valid point. I've added a pre-existing botnet where ransomware was being emailed out by a D forked svchost in a couple of recently published videos and will include it in my season finale in a few weeks.

And finally running a file from the desktop (or Folder) is totally valid as this will take into account a malware vector from ANY source, including dragging it on to the system from a flash drive (didn't you watch Mr Robot?).

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Ana- With BD I just had soooo many choices of malware that bypass it it was difficult to choose which one to demonstrate!

About upping the ATC- once again a really pretty term but that's about it. It was bypassed in all modes. Also as the Pro testers didn't employ it, I also could not for the purpore of this video.

FW- Good points, but I avoid doing the URL test as the URL blocking is essentially equivalent to having a definition for a true zero day sample- new malware, as well as new malware URL's will just blow right by such protection schemes. Also running some URL's that may have been sitting on some list or other for God knows how long is in my opinion a waste of my viewers time (which I fervently hope is precious). I also didn't include it as the song wasn't that long.

Regarding email protection you have a valid point. I've added a pre-existing botnet where ransomware was being emailed out by a D forked svchost in a couple of recently published videos and will include it in my season finale in a few weeks.

And finally running a file from the desktop (or Folder) is totally valid as this will take into account a malware vector from ANY source, including dragging it on to the system from a flash drive (didn't you watch Mr Robot?).
Mr Robot is my favourite Amazon Prime series :D

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
FW- Good points, but I avoid doing the URL test as the URL blocking is essentially equivalent to having a definition for a true zero day sample- new malware, as well as new malware URL's will just blow right by such protection schemes.
You can at least consider downloading the samples from some URL. Set up a local webserver and download them from there to have a complete chain of events that behaviour blockers can track and samples don't just suddenly "appear". It would simulate an unknown URL to block far better than just copying the samples to the system.

If I have access to your system to stick in my flash drive and run my malware, you have lost anyway. I can just turn off your AV in that case or click "allow" when it screams at me. Phyiscal security is a must. If you can't guarantee that, don't even bother with anything else.

Last edited:
K

KGBagent47

You can at least consider downloading the samples from some URL. Set up a local webserver and download them from there to have a complete chain of events that behaviour blockers can track and samples don't just suddenly "appear". It would simulate an unknown URL to block far better than just copying the samples to the system.

If I have access to your system to stick in my flash drive and run my malware, you have lost anyway. I can just turn off your AV in that case or click "allow" when it screams at me. Phyiscal security is a must. If you can't guarantee that, don't even bother with anything else.
I agree. I don't have proof but I'm assuming 99% of ransomware is delivered through the internet. So good URL blocking would be a critical consideration when it comes to stopping malware. Like you said samples don't just magically appear in real life.

R

Rodney74

CS Never cease to amaze me, maybe because I'm so stupid, but I think it's because you are so very smart.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@cruelsister

Is there a single Anti Virus (AV) program whether its paid or free that offers full 100% anti-ransomware protection ? None. Just like other AV software BD is no exception. An AV performance should be seen from its totality. Testing limited to the micro aspects of the software cannot help in determining whether the AV is effective or not.

An AV software offers protection from various angles like monitoring web pages, behavioral based detection, signature based detection, cloud based detection etc. One AV may be more good at behavioral based detection over the other but may be weaker in web page protection in comparison. Testing an AV based on hypothetical situation may not always be accurate. For example the BD could have blocked access to those files if it were tried downloading from the Internet. Just for saying true BD protection may be dependent on combinations of web protection, behavioral, signature based protection etc etc and how accurate in determining effectiveness of BD protection based on a hypothetical situation were you execute a bunch of malwares out of nowhere ?? Each AV have its strength and weakness.

The user of an anti virus software should only need to ensure that the given AV can offer good protection in its totality. Reaching into a conclusion of the AV whether its good or bad based on the performance of a particular aspect of an AV say just depending on behavioral based detection or just depending on web protection or just depending on the signature based protection doesn't represent the actual protection the AV can offer in a real world scenario.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.