App Review A brief look at Voodooshield

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
It looked like most of the samples were initially blocked by Windows SmartScreen. That means these samples were not very sophisticated. I mean, if they cannot bypass SmartScreen, then you don't even need 3rd party protection for them, right?
Most testers disable Smartscreen and uac to save time in their tests, i did not. I rarely see samples bypass smartscreen in windows 10 while testing, and i process many samples daily.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most testers disable Smartscreen and uac to save time in their tests, i did not. I rarely see samples bypass smartscreen in windows 10 while testing, and i process many samples daily.
the truth is, I am not trying to dis your excellent test, but rather, to ask a question about this whole type of testing.
I am not a tester myself, and I am probably missing some important information, but I just don't understand how testing malware samples that can anyways be stopped by Smartscreen and uac will show the efficacy of a 3rd party software solution.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
the truth is, I am not trying to dis your excellent test, but rather, to ask a question about this whole type of testing.
I am not a tester myself, and I am probably missing some important information, but I just don't understand how testing malware samples that can anyways be stopped by Smartscreen and uac will show the efficacy of a 3rd party software solution.
Remember that a lot of people dis-active Smarscreen (certainly for the telemetry part).
It looked like most of the samples were initially blocked by Windows SmartScreen. That means these samples were not very sophisticated. I mean, if they cannot bypass SmartScreen, then you don't even need 3rd party protection for them, right?
From a general point of view, when a malware infects your PC, you can't know by advance if it will bypass or not Smartscreen (you must have or not a third party protection installed)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
but I just don't understand how testing malware samples that can anyways be stopped by Smartscreen and uac will show the efficacy of a 3rd party software solution.

1- because Smatrscreen and UAC are considered weak by many Youtesters and "wannabe-expert" (old habit from XP/7 era), they don't even bother to enable them.
2- because finding complex malwares that can bypass SS and UAC is not so easy to find.

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
1. they are not always caught by smartscreen, just most.
2. very little detail in the OS file reputation system still makes it hard for a novice to know which way to turn, only information they receive with those is that the file is unknown to Smartscreen and they recommend "not running".
3. once the file has been let past smartscreen, it is totally up to the tested product to stop it or the system becomes infected.
4. most importantly, this is a brief review of the product, testing this method allowed me to show all aspects of dealing with a file via this product, and the ways to make choices/decisions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.